7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 3:41 PM by Joe Galliera

Changing material properties

Derek Bishop

I would like to hear the experiences of others regarding changing properties in a custom material property data base while in Simulation.

This is what I do:

Go into the simulation study.

RMB one of the bodies listed for a part and select edit material poperties.

LMB the edit button.

Change the required property.

Save the property and then exit from the material data base editing window.

When I go back into check the value that has been entered it has changed. The one that is displayed is different to the original and the new value entered. The model has the same material selected as the one that appears for all of the bodies in the study. If I now go to the model and view the material properties they have been updated with the new value entered in the Simulation.

Does anyone have any idea how this is supposed to work.

• Re: Changing material properties
          Lou Gallo
          What version of Simulation are you using? The default library cannot be changed and you will need to copy the material to a custom material and then edits will be saved. This changed in 2009.
              Derek Bishop

Running 2009 SP 4. I'm referring to a custom data base that I have created.

I've been running 2010 and this confirms that in 2009 SP3 and 4 the software is faulty.

Lou Gallo

I was not able to reproduce this error but did find this SPR:

Capture.PNG

Looks like the error that you were seeing.  In trying to recreate it I was getting a different error which is also SPRed.

Derek Bishop

Thanks Lou. The problem is related to the way the value is stored when you save an edit. Its a bug in my view and can lead to serious error. If anyone wants to know more about the problem and resolution let me know.

Derek Bishop

It has been confirmed as a bug by SolidWorks. Apparently there were three other faults also associated with this issue fixed in service pack 4. This one is in addition to these and won't be fixed until 2010. It gets to the point where your confidence in the software is undermined to such an extent that you don't want to risk using the software. I don't want to use 2010 until service pack 3.0 which will be around this time next year.

It seems to me that once the Beta phase is reached SolidWorks do not undertake testing of the software unless initiated by a user. Can someone else confirm if this is the case? From what I can see the number of people that are doing beta testing of the Simulation software is limited. I've found a lot of bugs without looking too hard. If users are not doing the testing then the problems don't get flagged. I belive this explains why users encounter so many of the problems in the software.

Its been my observation that there are many users of the Simulation software on these forums that have discovered the same things that I've discovered. Initially it is a shock that there are such blatant and so many bugs in the software. I'd like SolidWorks to be more up from with users and potential customers about their philosophy regarding the testing of software. At what point do they stop testing the software unless problems are identified by the user.

Joe Galliera

The SLDMAT is an ascii text format file, which can be edited in say Notepad..  Before monkeying around inside there though, make sure there is a reliable backup  on your computer hard drive and another backup somewhere else.  If you understand how to do some basic HTML editing, then you can probably understand the format of SLDMAT also.

This is how I created the attached "hyperelstics.sldmat" file.  I've also attached the same file but with the extension TXT to make it easier to just click and open in Windows.

Here is the typical basic format for a material in SLDMAT:

<classification name="Steel">
                                  <material name="1023 Carbon Steel Sheet (SS)" matid="82" envdata="1">
                                    <physicalproperties>
                                      <EX displayname="Elastic modulus" value="204999998381.838750" />
                                      <NUXY displayname="Poisson's ratio" value="0.290000" />
                                      <GXY displayname="Shear modulus" value="79999999873.016876" />
                                      <ALPX displayname="Thermal expansion coefficient" value="0.000012" />
                                      <DENS displayname="Mass density" value="7858.000032" />
                                      <KX displayname="Thermal conductivity" value="52.000000" />
                                      <C displayname="Specific heat" value="486.000000" />
                                      <SIGXT displayname="Tensile strength" value="425000003.203703" />
                                      <SIGYLD displayname="Yield strength" value="282685049.019888" />
                                      <RK displayname="Hardening factor (0.0-1.0; 0.0=isotropic; 1.0=kinematic)" value="0.850000" />
                                      <materialmodel name="Material Model Name" type="4" />
                                      <materialcurve id="1000" name="Stress Strain curve" type="100">
                                        <data points="0.0014 2.8268505e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.004 2.9992194e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.005 3.0336932e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.006 3.1371146e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.007 3.2060621e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.008 3.2405359e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.009 3.3094835e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.01 3.3439573e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.012 3.3784311e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.016 3.5852738e+008" />
                                        <data points="0.02 3.7231689e+008" />
                                      </materialcurve>
                                    </physicalproperties>
                                    <shaders>
                                      <pwshader2 path="\metal\steel\matte steel.p2m" name="matte steel" isNewShader="1" />
                                      <cgshader2 name="defaultplastic" />
                                    </shaders>
                                    <xhatch name="ANSI32 (Steel)" angle="0.0" scale="1.0" />
                                  </material>

</classification>

Joe Galliera

Beta software is what it is >> meant to find bugs.  So thank you!

Beta software is not meant to be used for production work.

As far as implying to people not to use a new release until SP3.0 is wrong.  If there are problems, and with any software with the number of developers required and the complexity of SolidWorks there will be bugs, then they will not be fixed.  If you jump into the game only at SP3.0, then you are relying on others to identify a problem, which might not be specific to your needs.   Also after getting into SP3.0 you may not identify that specific problem for you until closer to when SP4.0 is about to be released, which would slip your bug fix until SP5.0 traditionally a longer lag between SP's and the last SP for a release.

Since there are a lot of great improvments with each new Simulation release, the following is what I recommend.  Have dual installations on your machine with the latest Simulation release and the prior one, eg. SW 2009 SP4.1 and SW 2010 SP0.0.  You can do this; most people I know have to do this to support multiple customers.  Make use of the newer features in the latest release, and if needed, go back to the prior one if need be.  **The caveat here is that you cannot save back to a previous version in SW, so be careful by having multiple backups marked clearly by release. You can do this with file/folder names; also Enterprise PDM would make a great solution for facilitating this too.