6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 8:31 AM by Mark Kaiser

TOLERANCES/STACKING

Jeffrey Garr

Is there something that can be done to create my own "stacked" tolerance? I have a rod in a drawing that I want to call out the diameter with a press fit tolerance. I would like to use a leader but, the drawing will not let me. I can create a note however when I try to stack the dimensions do match the way I stack within a note... See attached AutoCAD drawing (top left view), call out for the .2504 DIA dimension; would like to show as it is here, including dual dimensions. I have also included my SolidWorks version. Any thoughts would be great!

• Re: TOLERANCES/STACKING
          James Achard

Jeffrey,

In your feature manager under Tolerance/Precision there is a pull down menu that has bilateral as one of the listings.  This will give your your dual tolerance.  Then you just need to add the appropriate values to the fields which will appear below.  If you desire Dual Dimensions for these, click on the Dual Dimension box at the bottom.

Regards, James

Jeffrey Garr

Thanks but, I am familiar with those functions. How do I pull a leader off of a straight edge to use those features? I do not want to show as a vertical or horizontal dimension...

Mark Kaiser
                  For regular annotations/notes, there's a button that looks like a fraction when you're editing text, double click the note and it will appear in the toolbar that pops up on the screen.  You can highlight just a portion of the note and make it into a fraction, enter the correct text to make it look like a tolerance.
                      Jeffrey Garr

This was helpful. It does not solve the problem with the brackets "[ ]" that go around the dual dimensions though. When a tolerance is required (as it is here) with a dual dimension the brackets do not ajust their size to match the remainder of the drawing(s).

Mark Kaiser

For the brackets, you can adjust individual character font sizes.  Higlight a character, and change its font size with the same toolbar you used to make the tolerance using the stack/fraction button.

It's difficult to make SW drawings look like old AutoCad drawings, and unless you have a good reason, it's generally better to try and use standard SW dims to convey your tolerance/dimensioning scheme than need a bunch of workarounds to get the job done.  (Yes, that's mostly personal opinion).

Jeffrey Garr

That works okay. Not quite a match to the dimensions on the SolidWorks drawing.

Definitely not my intent to make the drawing look like the AutoCAD drawing. Definitely do not like workarounds, I do like having options. I like consistency when it comes to the end result- no matter what software I use. I feel this is where SolidWorks is not quite up to snuff; on the drawings. I cannot create a chamfer dimension using a dual dimension either (does not show the metric dimension). Hatch and the Detail functions are lacking a little as well. (My personal opinion as well)