2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 4:46 PM by Roland Schwarz

Sketching efficiency

Gerald Davis

I'll stipulate that design intent takes the highest priority.

However, there occasions when it would seem best to sketch and model for the benefit of the CPU - minimize rebuild times.

I'm working on a presentation for a user group meeting with the topic of efficiency - when is it best to fillet in the sketch, use construction geometry, eliminate redundant sketch relations, minimize the use of linked dimensions, avoid use of equations,etc.

My question before the forum is, "What empirical evidence and or documentation have you found to support your habits in constraining sketches?"  In the absense of insight into the internal code schema of the graphics engine, do you have an intuitive sense for "best sketching practice"?

• Re: Sketching efficiency
          Roland Schwarz
          I have never seen a 2D sketch take a noticeable amount of time to rebuild.
            • Re: Sketching efficiency
              Gerald Davis

I have never seen a 2D sketch take a noticeable amount of time to rebuild.

Roland -

From your comment I gather that you place a high priority on the productivity of the human - sketch quickly and get the model completed without fiddling with insignificant trivia.

How would you model the 4 mounting holes shown in the attached fan body?

• Make a single hole and then make a circular pattern of the cutout?
              • Hole Wizard?
              • Simple cut?

If you use the either of the last 2, would your sketch use construction geometry or dimensions or some combination?

For what it is worth, I feel that it matters how a 2D sketch is made.  I frequently work with assemblies of several hundred components.  I appreciate using models that rebuild with mimimum CPU overhead.