6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 7:47 AM by Luke Tansell

Creating a BOM of just toolbox items

Chris Freshman

Does anyone know of a good method for doing this? The only way I have found so far is to create a new configuration, suppress everything apart from the toolbox parts i have used and then create a bom of that configuration

Regards

Chris Freshman

• Re: Creating a BOM of just toolbox items
          David Matula

Your wanting to have a bom that excludes toolbox features, then there is a option in the custom properties of each part that can be added, is fastner and that will allow you to exclude fastners from your bill of materials.  Ok i could not find away to do this in 2008 but it used to be there.

Chris Freshman

I want the opposite i want to create a BOM/table of only the toolbox features, sorry for the confusion

Anna Wood

IsFastener is a SolidWorks property that can be added to exclude fasteners, etc from BOM's etc.

You can still use the same concept.

In your BOM in SolidWorks you can RMB on it and do a SORT.

Can you sort your BOM by some specific column setting that will group all your fasteners together?  You may need to start adding a custom property to your fasteners, at a minimum, to allow you to do this.  You may already have a naming convention that will allow you to do this without any additional setup work.  You may need to add an additional column or two to your BOM temporarely to help you with this.

After you have the BOM sorted you can RMB on the BOM or select the BOM so it has focus and do a FIle > Save As > to Excel.  Once in Excel you can sort the BOM how you like to isolate the fasteners to a grouping.  Then delete the rest of the rows and save the Excel spreadsheet.

Strategic naming of your parts or additional custom properties in your files will allow you to do this type of sorting.

Cheers,

Anna

Chris Freshman

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a go this morning. However what does RMB mean?

At first sight it seems my quick but slightly crude way may do especially as we are trying to move away from creating excell spreadsheet/BOMs. But i shal test it and see

Thanks again

Regards

Chris Freshman

Anna Wood

RMB = Right Mouse Button

You do not need to do this in Excel.  That was just another option for you if you wanted to do a quick preliminary release, etc of just the fasteners.

You need to create a way that you can do a Sort on your SolidWorks BOM.  Naming conventions, custom properties, etc that you can create a column for and do a Sort on.

Cheers,

Anna

Luke Tansell

> For anyone looking at this and using 2015 or higher (may be in earlier versions, but i can't guarantee that) <

Firstly, make sure nothing is hidden or suppressed.

While your assembly is open, go to 'Tools>Component Selection>Select Toolbox' and it'll select just items from your Toolbox. From there you can invert selection, and delete all parts that aren't from Toolbox. Then you can create and save a BOM. DO NOT save your assembly file. You should close it without saving and once you re-open it, everything should be as it was.