1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 7:18 PM by Emilio Graff

Sketches visible through solid parts

Emilio Graff

I have an issue/question regarding the visibility of sketches (3D in this case) through solid parts. I am working on a project where I am importing an IGES file that contains both line work and solids. I import the lines as a 3D sketch (set in the IGES import options).

No matter in which orientation the model is, the 3D sketch is drawn on top of the parts. This is very annoying from a visualization standpoint, as one can imagine.

If I load the assembly in eDrawings, the sketches lose properties like color, but are not drawn on top of everything. That is, if I sketch line goes into a tube, I can only see it if I look down the tube in eDrawings, whereas in SolidWorks it will draw it on top of the tube regardless of the view orientation.

To my surprise today I manually drew a 3D sketch that followed parts of the imported one and, even though it is "drawn on top" most of the time, if I select the sketch in the tree, it is highlighted green and the parts of the sketch that are behind solids in the current view change to a dotted line. This is how I want to see them all the time! Is there a hidden option somewhere to turn this on permanently?