9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 11:25 AM by Ben Kalinowski

Control by checkbox

Jason Capriotti
      Can you put a checkbox on a file card and control who sees the file by whether its checked or not?
        • Re: Control by checkbox
          Ben Kalinowski
          That is something I've needed for a while - its sort of a 3rd dimension for permissions.....
              Jason Capriotti

I'm trying to decide how to due manuafacturing effectivity. Engineering will "Release" a drawing but it does become Manufacturing effective until they have implmented the changes which may take several months. I can do this with a state but I thought maybe a checkbox and date field would be better. The shop floor would not see it until it was checked.

Any other alternatives or suggestions?

Megan Fannon
                  Could you use the permission setting allowing the Manufacturing floor not to see working files (so they see only PDM revisions)?  You could create a separate revision variable that increments when Engineering "releases" the file ("Released" or "Released by Engineering" state), but not designate as a new PDM revision until the file is moved to "Released to Manufacturing" state.  The files in "Released by Engineering" would be working files and thus not visible on the floor.
                      Jason Capriotti

These are for just the PDF viewables of the engineering drawings, not the native files. We are considering not revision controlling these files, instead we are putting the revision in the file name. There are several reasons for this:

1. So people can open several revisions at once which is fairly common.
                      2. Quicker to access the older revisions.
                      3. Engineering can continue working and revising the drawings, its not uncommon for Mfg to be several revisions behind in implementing the changes.

If I add a "Released to Mfg" state, I can control it by the state.....I was just trying to see if I could accomplish it without added another state. The state might be the best way though.

Corey Vantilborg

Jason,

If you are creating .pdf conversions of Solidworks drawings then you could easily put those files in a totally seperate workflow, and use a folder structure to determine who could see what.

Our company is implementing a similar process, for all the reasons you listed.

Corey V

Ben Kalinowski

Jason,

We have theorized another way of doing this that I didn't want to mention so could see what others thought - and its similar to some of the other posts.

You could have workflow state change loops that generate the pdf and put it outside the vault - with us, manufacturing doesn't really 'need' to be logged into the vault, they only need to see released drawings.  Only certain groups will have the rights to use this state change loop, and it becomes basically their approval - if the pdf is there, it is released or accepted.  Once Mfg changes the state to accept and make the pdf, it auto transitions back to the original state.

I think you could even add a serial number to the pdf filename to keep older verison (a little dangerous, but for some companies its ok).

Good luck.

Corey Vantilborg

Jason,

This will be relatively difficult. The right way would be write an Add-In to handle it.

I have another concept that I have NOT tested so it might not work at all.

You will need two or more workflow states, each state has a set of permissions that determine who can see it.

You make the transitions to these states automatic.  Then you create a dispatch action that blocks all the transitions that you do not want to happen based on the check box variable.  You need SEPDM 2009 to do this.

The problem is if the dispatch action doesn't work then you will have two automatic transitions which will likely cause a problem.

You could try it though but I suspect it won't work.

Corey V

Brian Hughes
                        You should be able to use Card Logic to hide the control based on a variable status.
                          Richie Yosten
                          It seems to me that a state change would be easier.  No add-in dev needed and if it would be a value that is passed to a variable wouldn't the file need to be checked out as well?  I could be short sided on this but a simple right-click and state change seems the way to go when thinking of the end user.