11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 8:46 AM by mark vasquez

Footwear industry Modelers

mark vasquez

I was wondering if there are any other CAD modelers using solidworks in the footwear industry that might want to share some tips and tricks. I have been doing this for four years now (formaerly I was doing mechanical design) and have only begun using SWX about a year ago. Switching from Wildfire to soldiworks proved to be the right decision.

I am actually the only cad person here at my company and have no other CAD geeks here to bounce ideas off of. For that matter to get help from anyone I always end up e-mailing or posting....

So if there is anyone out there with experience and knowledge they would liek to share I would be more than greatful.

• Re: Footwear industry Modelers
          Eric Irwin

Well Mark, I am in the footwear industry, but we make components that get installed on shoes.  Our surfacing is generally relatively simple, but the size of our parts makes the fine detail surfacing somewhat complicated.  Not sure I can help with anything you are doing, but willing to try from time to time.

http://www.boatechnology.com

Eric

Adrian Velazquez

Mark,

At SolidWorks WORLD 2009 in Orlando the guys from New Balance showed how they use SolidWorks in their design process, it was some pretty impresive modeling. I don't know if they hang-around on the forums do.

mark vasquez

Basically I am trying to find the people I can turn to in times when I have complicated outsoles. Outsoles is mostly what I do sometimes they are simple other times they are a bit complicated and if I have to spend more than 2-3 days working on something they would rather send it to china to have EVA mockups made rather than wait for me to create the model and print it in my ZCorp 310 printer.

Eric, I looked at your website, that's real cool stuff you do. You guys wouldn't happen to have any openings would ya? Just kidding, sort of, I happpen to love Colorado....

Antonio, thanks for the heads up I might be able to contact one of the New Balance guys through someone here

Eric Irwin

Mark,

I don't think we have anything opening this year, but maybe next.  It sounds like you may be in the same sort of situation there as we are.  We tend to combine a lot of Industrial Design and Engineering, so our new products group consists of a mix.  Everyone has to have some bit of talent on both sides of that fence.

If you are truly interested and you think you might fit the bill, just send me a resume, either through email or USPS to our Denver office.  No promises!

Eric

Matt Lombard

Mark,

I've done some footwear modeling. I'm a surfacing hired gun for lots of types of projects. If you want to see an example of some of my stuff, go here: http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/

Click the surfacing category, and there should be lots of examples. I can show more specific stuff if you need.

The New Balance guy's name is Matt Dunbar. Very nice guy. I was lucky to meet him after his presentation on the big stage at SWWorld last year.

mark vasquez

thanks Matt, let me ask this. How do you become a hired gun like yourself? I am interested for sure because I would like to improve greatly from the way I work now with solidworks, I have experience using surfacing for aerospace and footwear and I would like to expand my horizons a bit more also.

Mark

Jeff Mowry

Mark, check out the recent posts at Matt's blog.  Lots of good stuff there along these (and other) lines.  Among them, see:

http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2372

http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=2384

Good luck.

Matt Lombard

Mark,

I'm a bad one to ask about how to become an independent. Some people believe hard work can do it for you, but I think that's just what you do after you become an independent. I think you only do it if you can't avoid it. You have to have a lot of contacts who know that you are available and worth hiring.

The way I did it was to quit my job working as an implementer for a reseller and asked them to hire me back as a consultant. That gave me 3 weeks of work, which was enough cashflow to get me rolling. I bought a computer, a desk with a rounded edge, a comfortable chair, and a license of SW. Because I worked with the reseller, I knew a lot of SW users out there who hire me now and then.

This may not be a great time to become an independent, but some people report temp contractor use is up. Again, I'm a bad example, because I don't just do independent contract modeling work, I supplement modeling with various kinds of writing. I'm not a good one to ask about how to become a writer either, because the opportunity literally just fell on me from out of the clear blue sky. A publisher asked me to write a book. It usually works the other way around, but the author that was supposed to write the book backed out, and my name was all over the web, so I got a call one day.

well, you caught me in a chatty mood. Sorry this is so far off topic. Footwear. I did some inserts for high heels. I'd love to get some work doing crazy foam soles in SW. SW might not be the best tool for that kind of thing, but I think it can handle a lot of it.

mark vasquez

Matt seriously thanks for sharing my interest in being an independant is mostly for doing side work, I have many contacts in the mechanical engineering adn aerospace fields because that is my background.

As for the final bit about SWX might not be the best tool for footwear, at the moment, I must beg to differ. SWX might not be "the best" but it affords the ability to make much quicker changes than what I was able to do with Pro/E Wildfire and I had been using Pro/E since 1997. Almost immediately I increased the speed and the quality of my work using SWX and people noticed because I have been asked to do alot more which is good....

The tough part about all of this footwear work is that I had to teach myself how to do the modeling end of it because there is no one here at my company that does what I do except the guys from our UK office and they have no time to help me other than through random e-mails so I gave that up and muddled through it myself.  Anyhow, so far so good now all i need to do is get a little more involved with my surfacing peers and learn some more technical surfacing techniques from what I am doing now....I'd love to put some stuff up but alas I can not due to the fact that nothing is in production yet  once they are in production I will share a bit of my mediocre work

hi mark

we started doing R&D in footwear back in 2002. consequently we modeled a parametric last in solidworks and we can change its fit by matching it to the 3d laser scans and measurements of a clients foot. solidworks is not an ideal software for that purpuse and we wish it had a flattening function for double curved surfaces - we use another software for that. but it can be done.

you'll find a few screenshots here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/yolklab

and we will soon present our couture shoe collection at www.yolk.org of made to measure shoes done in 3D.

best regards

david

BOOT.JPG

planes2.JPG

mark vasquez

that's pretty cool David, over here we have dedicated last makers and a last lathe and a digitizer from newlast. If there are changes needed the guys simply make the changes using the last software and generate a usable igs file for me from there I do it all in Solidworks. Any changes to the last can be made by the last makers and updated via a new igs file..

I will check out our pics todady at lunch , thanks so much for the input.

Mark