11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 5:45 AM by Lenny Bucholz

Convert eDrawing Assy file to Assembly file

Paul McCrorey
      Hello All,

Scanned the forum but didn't see this derivative of the edrawings 'conversion' question asked/answered.

I have a client who has supplied me with an edrawing file. He also has a multitude of parts. The only thing he is missing is the SLDASM that the original edrawing must have been made from.

I am wondering if there is a way to pull out the Assembly info from the edrawing file so that I can use it to properly assembly the parts. Don't need the parts, just the reference/mates etc.

just a shot in the dark to save me from a few hours of manual labor..

Thanks in advance.
        • Convert eDrawing Assy file to Assembly file
          Bruce Fisher
          Paul,

Your labor awaits you. EDrawings are not much more than pretty pixels, though useful for illustrative purposes. Sorry.
              Lenny Bucholz
              edrawings is a viewer only...they can send stl files wiyh it only!

remember if they send you an SW assem. you need all the part file also!
                • Re: Convert eDrawing Assy file to Assembly file
                  Paul McCrorey
                  Thanks guys - i think
                      David Paulson
                      Paul,

If you think of an eDrawing like an encrypted .pdf file, then you will realize that it was not meant for the information to flow but in one direction. But I think that you are right in that the basic information is there. If you can write a translator, I think that SolidWorks would pay you a lot of money to keep it private...........
                        • Re: Convert eDrawing Assy file to Assembly file
                          Paul McCrorey

Ha...David...

I was wondering how I was going to become a millionaire.

Bruce Fisher
                              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is enough information in the EDrawings file to recreate a model or assembly, even if you did have the "secret key". When you look at the size of the original models/assemblies compared to the respective EDrawings, the EDrawing files are much smaller. I would guess that part of that difference is the internal mathematical resolution and probably the elimination of mates, sketches, equations, etc. Also, EDrawing files, whether assembly or part, are standalone. An EDrawing assembly file does not require that EDrawing part files be present, unlike SW model assemblies.

With Respect,
                                  John Kreutzberger
                                  A lot of times an end customer will ask one of my mold-maker customers for a 3-d file. This is often just for show & tell and to keep the supervisor happy. Often times they would not know what to do with a real 3-d file if they got one. What we do is send them an e-drawing of the mold assembly. They always seem to LOVE it. They can turn things off and on; make things transparent. They feel very good that they have this cool 3-d file and never ask for anything else.

We don't usually want to give them the actual 3-d data because we spent a lot of time developing the design and are concerned that some day they may turn around and get somebody else to copy our design.

E-drawings are great for showing 3-d, but not actually providing 3-d.
                                      Lenny Bucholz
                                      Guys its just a veiwer, graphics only, no surface data...you can send STL file along with on but that is it...PLAIN AND SIMPLE VEIWER.....translators are for solid/surface data and they a very large for and assembly.

edrawings is 1000 times better than a jpeg, it was made so your client can see the project without knowing anything about SW.

been doing SW since 97 as a machinist/modelmaker and love that edrawings allows my customers a simple way to give me the go ahead.
                                        Bruce Fisher
                                        John,

You hit it right on the head! We also feel that the true SW model holds valuable proprietary information, and like you said, the customer rarely asks for anything more than the EDrawing file.

Regards,
                                            Paul McCrorey
                                            Thanks for the info guys...

However, sometimes, I am looking to just render a model. In this case, I gotta believe that the data is there. I am not talking about simulation or tool paths or anything like that.

I am looking at the "jpeg" file or "pdf" as you all have said...the parts are there, I can 'cut' them, rotate them, make them transparent, even open them up separately so why can't I use them to render them.

I would love to hear an explanation from SW on that one. I understand all of you guys have views or opinions on it, but what is really going on under the hood. Or do I care....I have already labored myself into getting the model ready..

Paul
                                                Lenny Bucholz
                                                remember edrawings is a published file, like using animator to make an avi file to send to your client, all it saves is the graphical interface of the files.

same if you open edrawings, find the sldasm file someone sent you(no part files) and it works the same, just a graphic preview.

your just thinking to hard about it....I worked for the VAR 3 years, we asked the samething when it came out, thats why the files are small.