4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 12:49 AM by Matt Lombard

Surface loft gets split

Brian Kurn
      I create a surface loft of differing cross sections around a bend. When I export the surface as an IGES to be machined it splits the surface in two (like a clam shell) which makes more work for the machinist. At first I thought it was because I was using guide curves but I removed them and the surface still gets split. Why does this happen? How can I prevent it?

Thanks!
        • Surface loft gets split
          Charles Culp
          Sharp changes in curvature and other quick changes to the surface may make it so SW splits it into two faces. There is no real way to get around that without changing the shape of the model. If your design allows for more generous radii for your curvature, then you can always make it a larger radius, and it should disappear.

If you can upload your .sldprt file (after .zip), then someone might be able to take a look at it.
              Brian Kurn
              Thanks for the help Charles. I assumed it would be something like that but was hoping for a better workaround! I will play with the surfaces to see what's causing it do that then I'll see if I can make it work with the changes. If not, maybe I'll upload the file.

Thanks!
                  Lenny Bucholz
                  another thing to remember is how the cam package reads the iges!!!! it's not always SW fault....just like the realworld...translations out of one is different on the way in. try parasolids into your cam package...by the way what is the cam package you are using?
              • Re: Surface loft gets split
                Matt Lombard

Is the surface split in SolidWorks or only after import? I've seen IGES import do this frequently. See if you can get your CAM guy to take a parasolid. That will avoid splits that IGES allows. Also, try to reimport the IGES into SW. If it comes back into SW split, then its a problem you won't solve with IGES. If it doesn't come back into SW split, then its a problem with the CAM software translation.

I've seen cylindrical faces or edges get split by IGES. Its an ancient translation method. Mastercam and many other CAM programs read parasolid.

If the surface is split in SW after creation (before translation), then Charles answer is the one to try.