8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 12:11 AM by Dougal Hiscock

Parasolid from 09 to 08

Dougal Hiscock
      I have recently sent models to people using solidworks 2008, I use 2009. I saved as a parasolid and to my surprise the models came through as dumb solids (previously some were weldments, some were featured solids). The appearance for each part defaulted to grey.

Did I do something wrong? I could achieve much better results exporting these as IGES, at least then the colours remain and I expect them all to become dumb solids.

It seems strange to me that I have no backwards operability here at all. Is there a better way to handle this?
        • Parasolid from 09 to 08
          Deepak Gupta
          Dougal,

That is a expected behavior so I will say you did it correctly. There is no option called backwards compatibility, so converting your files to IGES, STEP or PARASOLID is the only option for opening higher version files into lower version. You can change the appearance and that should not be a problem.
            Dougal Hiscock
            If parasolids convert everything to dumb solids or surfaces, then what is the advantage in using them? What difference does the parasolid version make? It seems strange that I get a better result using a format like IGES instead of solidworks own files.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but how hard would it be to bring planes, sketches and extrudes into files readable by previous versions? Fair enough to exclude features created with improved or modified tools.

Deepak, Jan & Phil; thank you. I think I had saved the file as a version 17.1
            I thought sometime in the past I had successfully saved a parasolid which then opened with a usable feature tree. But perhaps it is my memory playing games.
                Deepak Gupta
                There is a add called FeatureWorks that can read from a imported file and try to convert to a features that can be edited.

Check here for more details: http://www.javelin-tech.com/ma...ducts/featureworks.htm
                  Kevin De Smet

Dougal Hiscock wrote:

If parasolids convert everything to dumb solids or surfaces, then what is the advantage in using them? What difference does the parasolid version make? It seems strange that I get a better result using a format like IGES.

The advantage is that, saving as a parasolids file SolidWorks simply takes your native SolidWorks file and extracts the geometric data from it. That's why saving a parasolids file in SolidWorks is extremely quick, it's copy/paste - essentially.

You can be ensured that your geometry is accurate, and correct.

Saving as an IGES or STEP actually converts your file into their respective formats, though similar, can cause additional problems. I have had numerous occasions where an IGES file meant the loss of surfaces or other issues.

These three are all very similar formats but as they say, the devil is in the details!
                      Phil Marra
                      Im not sure what you are looking for but parasolid, iges, and step are merely translators that sole purpose is to allow importing and exporting between various cad softwares. There has been limited success in bringing features over but the only translators I have seen that accomplished this were UG and Pro-E native formats. The second you choose to save as a parasolid, iges or step, you forfeit any feature based transferal and get a "dumb solid". This is true even if you are just trying to import a future version SW part into an older version of SW.
                      Also Feature Works only works on a limited basis.
                    Dougal Hiscock
                    Thanks Kevin, that was the point I was missing. Parasolid means no geometry lost in translation.

I'm familiar with featureworks, I've used it several times but it's tedious with multi-body solids.