43 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 10:14 AM by Elena Dent

Hole wizard problem, or user problem?

Took a six-week break from SW (2009 SP3) to cool off a bit, and today decided to try it again with fresh hope.
      I seem to remember in our training class that if a threaded hole has been created in a model using the hole wizard, that the hole information can be automatically shown in a drawing.
      However, that does not seem to be working.
      All I get is the hole diameter or the countersink diameter.
      At no point in the past 2 hours have I been able to have it display any thread information at all.
      Is this just a user error, or is this another issue that will be fixed in the next service pack?
        • Hole wizard problem, or user problem?
          Josh Brady
          Insert->Annotations->Hole Callout

Josh Brady
            Check Tools->Options, System Options tab, File Locations category. Look for Hole Callout Format file. Wherever that is pointing, verify that a file exists called "calloutformat.txt".

Josh Brady wrote:

Check Tools->Options, System Options tab, File Locations category. Look for Hole Callout Format file. Wherever that is pointing, verify that a file exists called "calloutformat.txt".

Yes, that file exists in the path as shown.
                147K, Created 12/04/08
                    Mike Lydon
                    Check the path carefully. I recently had this problem. The path Solidworks is looking for (SWX2009) C:\ program files\solidworks corp\solidworks\lang\english\calloutformat.txt. My install of SWX2009 was looking for the wrong path. It was looking for a path that did not include the "solidworks corp" folder.

Mike Lydon

Michael Lydon wrote:

Check the path carefully. I recently had this problem. The path Solidworks is looking for (SWX2009) C:\ program files\solidworks corp\solidworks\lang\english\calloutformat.txt. My install of SWX2009 was looking for the wrong path. It was looking for a path that did not include the "solidworks corp" folder.

Mike Lydon

System Options / File Locations / Hole Callout Format File Under "Folders:" it says: "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\lang\english"

When I navigate to that location in windows explorer, there are about 10 directories and about 150-200 files, one of which is called "calloutformat.txt"

Is this correct?
                    Josh Brady
                    Yes, that sounds correct. Can you zip and post your offending files (part and drawing) for analysis?
                      Josh Brady
                      Not sure what's happened to screw up your drawing. If I right-click on your hole callout that is right in the middle of the page and choose Display Options->Define By Hole Wizard, it changes from "Ø313 THRU" to:

Ø 0.313 [depth symbol] 0.375
                      3/8-16 UNC - 2B [depth symbol] 0.750
                      [c'sink symbol] Ø 0.425 X 90º, Near Side

Josh Brady wrote:

Not sure what's happened to screw up your drawing. If I right-click on your hole callout that is right in the middle of the page and choose Display Options->Define By Hole Wizard, it changes from "Ø313 THRU" to:

Ø 0.313 [depth symbol] 0.375

3/8-16 UNC - 2B [depth symbol] 0.750

[c'sink symbol] Ø 0.425 X 90º, Near Side

Ummmm... what?
                          The Ø0.313 THRU is what I get when I choose 'define by hole wizard'. If I just snap a dimension to it, all I get is the diameter of either the hole or the countersink.
                          And I'm not sure what you mean by the drawing being screwed up... I did a 'make drawing from part', and added the part views and dimensions. I've actually tried that several times, with the same results every time.
                          Not sure if this matters; we are running SolidWorks 'Premium' as opposed to 'Ultimate' or 'Extreme' or whatever the top-of-the-line version is called. i wonder if that has anything to do with it?
                            Josh Brady
                            Nope. Doesn't matter. I'm running SolidWorks Standard.

This may point to a problem with your CalloutFormat.txt file. Is there a file in the same location called calloutformat_2.txt? If so, close SW, browse to the location of the file, and rename calloutformat.txt to something different and then rename calloutformat_2.txt to calloutformat.txt.

Actually, on second thought, just rename calloutformat.txt to something different, open SW, and try to add a hole callout in a drawing. SW should give you an error message that says it can't find calloutformat.txt. If it doesn't, that means it's not really looking in that location. If you do get that error message, then go ahead and try using the calloutformat_2.txt file.

OK.
                              There *is* a file already there called "calloutformat_2.txt" (103K, 11/29/04)
                              I renamed "calloutformat.txt" to "calloutformat.tx1", tried to add a hole callout to the drawing, and got an error ("Can't find C:\ program files\solidworks corp\solidworks\lang\english\calloutformat.txt. file. The callout will be defined by geometry."), and only get a diameter with no thread dimensions.
                              I renamed calloutformat_2.txt to calloutformat.txt, and now it's back to just giving me "Ø0.313 THRU", still no thread dimensions.
                                Oh, great.
                                Exited SW, rebooted, restarted SW, went back to the same drawing, now it doesn't even give me the word "THRU" when I 'define by hole wizard'.
                                I'm going to just go back to cad and do it there. Thanks for all the assists.
                                  Thanks, Josh.

But...

No change.
                                    Josh Brady
                                    Sounds like your install may be corrupted somehow. Since your files work on my machine, it is most likely an issue with your particular machine. Is there another PC anywhere around you with SW installed?
                                        Lenny Bucholz
                                        what hole wizard tool are you selecting?

if it is the countorbore tool, you will not get the thread information, there is no thread...correct?

the only hole wizard tools that give you thread callouts is the tapped hole and pipe tap. everything else is just a hole plain and simple, just like the machine shop, the tools you use on the machines are the hole wizard tools.

drills makes holes, taps make threads, countersinks make tappers, counterbore tools make bigger blind holes and so on.

I'm a machinist/ModelMaker/SolidWorks certified Instructor-Tech support and CSWP and have been teaching SW since 2001 and using since 1997.

it's the best way i can explain it.

lenny

Josh Brady wrote:

Sounds like your install may be corrupted somehow. Since your files work on my machine, it is most likely an issue with your particular machine. Is there another PC anywhere around you with SW installed?

I was afraid you'd say that.
                                          We've had no end of problems since we purchased SW last summer (feel free to check for related posts).
                                          One of the most recent ones involved our VAR doing a remote login several times over 3 days just to install a service pack; he said that the installation was hosed (even though they are the ones who installed it the first 2 times!)
                                          His 'solution' was to completely uninstall it and wipe every trace of SW from the system, the registry, the network, etc. and download and completely reinstall it from scratch. (I actually have several issues on the forums here, this is one of them.)
                                          A few weeks later it started acting up again (can't open a file it just saved, cant open dxf files, etc etc.) Fisher-Unitech scheduled a day to have someone from their tech support management team come on-site along with the local (Dayton OH) VAR support person (when we started making noise about just getting a full refund).
                                          The day came and went, no visit, no phone calls, no emails... just... nothing.
                                          Haven't heard from them since.
                                          So yeah... corrupted install. No surprise. Well, a little surprised, but just typical for SW.
                                          So it's back to AutoCad (thank goodness we kept it!) and I'll wait till I get curious again and try SW again.

lenny bucholz wrote:

if it is the countorbore tool, you will not get the thread information, there is no thread...correct?

the only hole wizard tools that give you thread callouts is the tapped hole and pipe tap. everything else is just a hole plain and simple, just like the machine shop, the tools you use on the machines are the hole wizard tools.

drills makes holes, taps make threads, countersinks make tappers, counterbore tools make bigger blind holes and so on.

I'm a machinist/ModelMaker/SolidWorks certified Instructor-Tech support and CSWP and have been teaching SW since 2001 and using since 1997.

lenny

Ummm... I used a tapped hole in the wizard. That would be the reason I am expecting... ummm... you know... TAP information. But thanks for the education.
                                              Lenny Bucholz

Greg Hyman wrote:

Josh Brady wrote:

I was afraid you'd say that.

We've had no end of problems since we purchased SW last summer (feel free to check for related posts).

One of the most recent ones involved our VAR doing a remote login several times over 3 days just to install a service pack; he said that the installation was hosed (even though they are the ones who installed it the first 2 times!)

His 'solution' was to completely uninstall it and wipe every trace of SW from the system, the registry, the network, etc. and download and completely reinstall it from scratch. (I actually have several issues on the forums here, this is one of them.)

A few weeks later it started acting up again (can't open a file it just saved, cant open dxf files, etc etc.) Fisher-Unitech scheduled a day to have someone from their tech support management team come on-site along with the local (Dayton OH) VAR support person (when we started making noise about just getting a full refund).

The day came and went, no visit, no phone calls, no emails... just... nothing.

Haven't heard from them since.

So yeah... corrupted install. No surprise. Well, a little surprised, but just typical for SW.

So it's back to AutoCad (thank goodness we kept it!) and I'll wait till I get curious again and try SW again.

lenny bucholz wrote:

lenny

Ummm... I used a tapped hole in the wizard. That would be the reason I am expecting... ummm... you know... TAP information. But thanks for the education.

When you installed SW did you turn off virus checking? some will not let you install some of the SW components.

also if you have installed new programs after the SW install you could get issues. are you running XP or Vista? 32 or 64bit? virtual memory at 3 times the physical?

have you tried the install on another computer? the corruption could be an issue just on the one your using. when whas the last time you did a complete re-install of windows, meaning FORMAT C DRIVE? I have found that after 1 to 2 years you need to do this, because so much crap gets installed from so many programs.

the reason i suggest this is because it has happened to me at and after it is all clean- NO ISSUES for another 2 years

lenny bucholz wrote:

When you installed SW did you turn off virus checking? some will not let you install some of the SW components.

also if you have installed new programs after the SW install you could get issues. are you running XP or Vista? 32 or 64bit? virtual memory at 3 times the physical?

have you tried the install on another computer? the corruption could be an issue just on the one your using. when whas the last time you did a complete re-install of windows, meaning FORMAT C DRIVE? I have found that after 1 to 2 years you need to do this, because so much crap gets installed from so many programs.

the reason i suggest this is because it has happened to me at and after it is all clean- NO ISSUES for another 2 years

Not sure about virus checking; I assumed that since SW tech support installed it that they would know how (of course, that has not been proven to be a good assumption yet.)
                                                  New programs after installing SW... we bought new machines specifically for SW after finding out that the machines we had were not up to the task (a minor detail our VAR failed to mention when they pitched it to us). So yes, we have installed new programs after installing SW, but funtech has done a fresh install quite recently.
                                                  Win XP, 32 bit Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300, 2.50GHz
                                                  3.5 GB Ram, 2 GB (static) swap file... This is the first time I've heard it suggested that the swap file should be 3X physical ram... is this a SW requirement?

I have checked this particular problem on 3 machines, and it is the same on all 3.

Complete reinstall of windows... well, as the machines are all only 6 months old, a complete reinstall of the OS seems a little extreme.

And after seeing you say "it has happened to me", I get the feeling that this is yet another issue with SW that we're going to have to live with until the next bugfix is released.
                                              Josh Brady
                                              Lenny,
                                              Have you looked at his files? Have you even read past the first post?
                                                Thx, Nick.
                                                I tried both, on all 3 of the holes. No joy either way. All I get is diameter information, either the countersink diameter (Ø0.425) or the hole diameter (Ø0.313).
                                                  Josh Brady
                                                  No, the hole callout should retrieve all hole data whether you attach it to the thru hole or the edge of the c'sink. Same for c'bore holes. Callout can be attached to the edge of the thru hole or the c'bore.

Josh Brady wrote:

No, the hole callout should retrieve all hole data whether you attach it to the thru hole or the edge of the c'sink. Same for c'bore holes. Callout can be attached to the edge of the thru hole or the c'bore.

As you can see from the file I attached, that is not the case.
                                                          Greg-

Sounds like you might template location is set to the wrong solidworks folder. If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, you need to check that your hole callout template is accessing the most current installation folder. If you have a solidworks(2) or solidworks(copy) folder, try setting the template location to the according folder. Otherwise, Im out of ideas. Good luck.
                                                              Josh Brady
                                                              Nick,
                                                              If you'll read the thread, you'll see that we've tried that option already.

Attached is a screenshot from the drawing Greg created. I added the two callouts shown. One is attached to the c'sink, one attached to the thru hole. Both carry the same information from the hole wizard.

Not sure what you did to get the callouts you have. You are not getting Greg's desired result either unless you changed the hole type. These are tapped holes, and should carry the thread size information. That was the whole point of the original post.
                                                          Thanks, Nick.
                                                          No other folders, and it's looking in the right place for the text file.
                                                          Ahh, well. Back to the drawing board. (And if not for AutoCad, that would be a literal statement!!)
                                                            Well, after a long weekend, I started fresh on this, but no joy.
                                                            I changed my swap file to 10.5GB after running a full defrag, but that hasn't made any difference at all.
                                                            I have created a new part; just a block with a tapped hole in it, but even that doesn't work.
                                                                Lenny Bucholz
                                                                Greg I was a VAR tech guy for 3 years....yes 3X for virtual mem is reguired...the bigger the swap file the better...less hard drive searching!

what brand are your machines? Dell, HP, Fred, Willma or home built? I have Dell's but we whipe them clean and do a virgin install so we don't have to deal with Dell's software...sometimes it's an issue!

Greg can you put the simple block up here...see if your file does the same for us.....if it does it could be computer related not SW. have install SW on hundreds of CPU's and never had the issues you are having.
                                                                These are all HP xw4600 workstations.
                                                                They shipped to us with Vista, which we dumped and installed XP Pro instead.
                                                                And to be honest, this is the first anyone has ever said that SW requires a 10.5 GB swap file. This is actually beyond what a 32-bit system can support (maximum address size with 32-bit addressing is 4 GB), so it is surprising to me that SW is able to even utilize this space. Even more surprising to me is that SW never mentioned this requirement to us in the past 9 months.
                                                                Is there a guide somewhere that lists these requirements? It seems to me that all of the environmental issues that can cause SW to stop working correctly, surely such a frail piece of software would have a very rigid list of requirements to prevent this kind of issue from arising.
                                                                That being said, the 10.5 GB paging file did not make any difference whatsoever.
                                                                  This is the only information I can find about system requirements:
                                                                  http://www.solidworks.com/sw/s...quirements.html

and I don't see any mention of swap file size listed here other than "2X the amount of RAM."
                                                                      Lenny Bucholz
                                                                      swap file is hard drive allocation so that you are not searching all over the drive for the info SW needs...thats all that virtial memory does for you, so when the ram dumps it goes to a larger spot to pull your info...make SW run faster thats all.

now the reason all of your computers are doing the same thing...thats strange.

when you uninstalled SW did you clean the windows regisry file? then reinstall it?

you also stated that it worked ok for a while then it acts up? was it good untill you instal more software, then it happened? is this a network version?

as a SW tech guy we have to be detectives...why does this happen on yours and not ours, as i said i install on all the computers in my shop and for others. occationally i'll get one grumpy CPU but not 4....something about your system setup has to be causing the issue.

lenny bucholz wrote:

when you uninstalled SW did you clean the windows regisry file? then reinstall it?

you also stated that it worked ok for a while then it acts up? was it good untill you instal more software, then it happened? is this a network version?

funtech did a remote login when SP3 would not install.
                                                                          The details of that:
                                                                          https://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=20571
                                                                          and yes, the registry was cleaned by them while I watched.

"stated that it worked ok for a while then it acts up?"
                                                                          Well, that's not entirely true... it will work until we try to use a feature for the first time (like adding a dimension to a hole on a drawing), and that feature will not work.
                                                                          Then it's off to the forums or tech support (currently we have five open cases with them for various issues.)
                                                                          Historically, this is how it has been since we bought it.
                                                                        We had Dells until December (iirc) and had nothing but problems.
                                                                        These machines (the HP workstations) were purchased specifically because they were supposed to run SW.
                                                                        The first issues we had with these were due to the wrong video drivers being used; it took fun-tech a week of having us install 3 different video drivers before they figured out they were chasing a known problem with the hole wizard that was fixed in SP3.
                                                                        After that, the problems we had were because they had us install (yet another) wrong video driver.
                                                                        It has been disastrous every step of the way, and so far it does not appear to be specific to any hardware or configuration; and almost without fail, whatever problems we have on one machine are present on every machine.
                                                                        The only consistent problem has been... well, SolidWorks itself.
                                                                        Which is why we have kept our AutoCad license up to date, and are using it almost exclusively when we need a system that works.
                                                                        SW is nice, but it is nearly impossible to use when every single thing on the computer must be set just exactly right for it to function at all.
                                                                        The fact that it took funtech over a week just to figure out how to install a service pack (after sending me a THIRTY SIX PAGE set of instructions on how to install it) is an example of why we are still using autocad... every time a new problem arises with SW, nobody knows how to fix it without spending days and days of "try this. no, try this. no, he shouldnt have told you to try that" , and without breaking something else.
                                                                          Ricky Gutierrez
                                                                          this may seem silly but is that hole on a flat surface?
                                                                            Josh Brady
                                                                            Ninth post from the top.
                                                                                Lenny Bucholz
                                                                                Greg, download and the hole callout works fine on all 3 of my computers.

there is something with those CPU's, hardware, drivers, something.

running Dell T3400, FX570 graphic cards, 2gig ram, XP32bit...works on all 3 and 2 of them I fired SW2009 SP3.0 for the first time.

haven't tried my home cpmputer Dell Precision 380 with a gamers card...but i will.

do you have admin rights on your systems? that could be the issue if you don't since SW likes to read write some files back and forth.
                                                                              • Re: Hole wizard problem, or user problem?
                                                                                Elena Dent

I had the same problem and I think I've found the solution.

Unfortunately it does mean scrapping your existing, offending drawing and making a new one but here's what I did:

Start a new drawing, use blank, not any existing format.  Then browse for the correct drawing format for your company and insert as usual.

I was starting a new drawing with an older apparently correct drawing format and the hole callouts were exactly as you describe.  I tried downloading Josh Brady's file to replace the hole callouts, same thing happened, no improvement. BUT as soon as I started with a blank, and immediately browsed for and inserted the format I wanted the hole callouts from the hole wizard loaded correctly.  It's something to do with the drawing format you start with fighting you.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone more knowledgable can figure out why this is happening and how to fix it.