15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 3:58 PM by Charles Culp

Lost cosmetic threads

Don Aldridge
      We have SW on a network here at work and recently changed so that my computer was the primary computer. Ever since that change I have not been able to get cosmetic threads to show up in the drawings.

When I draw a part and want to add a cosmetic thread I right click on the surface where I want the thread, the appearance callout menu appears and I select the texture box next to the face option. This is the way I have always did this. The cosmetic threads show up fine on the part but if I want them to be on one of the views in the demensional drawing they will not show up, even if I try to print a copy of just the part the threads disappear.

The thing that appears to be different or I never noticed it before is in the appearance callout menu the fourth option is the part number, I thought the box next to the part number under the color palette was always x'ed out, but now it shows a color has been selected. I can change the color but I can't remove it so the box is x'ed out, even by going to the color and optics menu and selecting remove all colors. Maybe that has nothing to do with my problem and it's something I just never noticed before. Another clue may be I noticed when I go to the file index to look for a part and expand the views instead of looking by part number the cosmetic threads are not in the thumb nail view.

I have even opened an old drawing and tried to print it and the cosmetic threads did not show up, even though I have printed proof they showed up before. And after doing that now the threads on that old part no longer show up in the thumb nail view.

Anyway to me it seems like some "electronic switch" got flipped during the computer switch and I just need to figure out how to get back to the original setting. Any idea's?

Don

• Lost cosmetic threads
          Anna Wood
          Have you tried using Insert > Annotation > Cosmetic Thread instead?

This is how most all of us add Cosmetic Threads.

If that does not help can you zip up an offending file and upload so we can take a look at what you are doing.

Cheers,
            • Lost cosmetic threads
              Don Aldridge
              Anna I tried your suggestion but couldn't get a thread to appear at all, all that happens is I get a ring at the edge of the part. Also that approach seems to only be for ID threads, most of the threads I need to show are OD threads. I do need to figure out your method just so I have another option, what do you think I am doing wrong? I will play around with your approach as I have time.

I still don't understand why my old method of using the texture option in the appearence callout has stopped working, if it shows up why does it dissapear when I try and print it?
            • Lost cosmetic threads
              Deepak Gupta
              Don,

With you part open, go to Tools > Options> Document Properties tab, and then select Detailing. Make sure Cosmetic thread display is on/ checked. This is for SW09.

• Lost cosmetic threads
                Deepak Gupta
                Don,

Congrats, you managed to post the files. Can you post a bigger or enlarged picture. Also upload the sample part file (make sure to zip the part file before uploading).

One thing, if you have added any chamfer after the inside thread then it will go away.It is reported to development team under SPR 478944
                  • Lost cosmetic threads
                    Anna Wood
                    Don,

Here is a package of files I created for you.

The tap was created with hole wizard. Check the Hole_Wizard.png and make sure you have the Options set as shown.

The Cosmetic Thread on the rod portion was created using Insert > Annotation > Cosmetic Thread.

You will also see a drawing I created from the part. Check out the High_Quality.png, make sure you have the Cosmetic thread Display set to High Quality.

I also did a Save As a pdf and also a jpg of the drawing. The threads show up just fine.

What are your computer system specs? What video card are you using? Do you have an approved video card driver installed for the version and SP of SW you are using?

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/videocardtesting.html

Cheers,
                      • Lost cosmetic threads
                        Don Aldridge
                        First off let me say thank you very much Anna and Deepak for your help.

When I posted the drawing above I thought the part was part of that file, not sure where it went as I put the drawing and the part in the same folder.

I am not sure what video card is in my computer (no, I didn't check) but it has been handeling Solid Works for the last year without any problems. The only difference is now my computer has the doggle (?) in it where before I fed off the network.

I am starting to think there may be a filter on that I'm missing or even a printer issue, when I printed the sample that Anna provided (thanks again) the threads did not show up! I will add another printer and see if that works and if not it's back to SW's.

Thanks,
                        Don

Might as well just add info to this post;

Sent drawing to a different printer and thread still didn't show up.

My computer is running Vista service pak 2. It is an HP with 8400 triple core 2.10GHz, 3 GB of RAM, with 208 GB of hard drive available.
                        Does this sound right for the video card? Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, my sytem menu doesn't actually list a video card.

OK, one more update. It is difinetly specific to my computer, I got on one of the other computers in our network and did a quick drawing and everything works correctly, threads showed up just like always. So now I just need to find what I turned off/on at my computer, the search continues !
                          • Lost cosmetic threads
                            Anna Wood
                            Don,

It is most likely related to your non approved video card on your computer. It almost appears you are using an onboard graphics card. Which is even worse for SW performance then using a gaming video card.

Geforce video cards are for gaming. You need a Nvidia Quadro video card. You will want to check the list of approved SW video cards on the SolidWorks website.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/videocardtesting.html

Cheers,
                              • Lost cosmetic threads
                                Don Aldridge
                                I went ahead and called tech support, they said I probably have a "corrupted registry key", they had me delete it and then I reloaded 2008 5.0. Took everything back to the factory default settings but my cosmetic threads are working again!

Maybe I should have stopped and asked for directions before driving around all day!

As for the video card, that's just what came in the computer, no surprise it's a gaming card. I havn't had any problems with it (that I've noticed), what would I gain by putting in a recommended type card?

Thanks for everyones help,
                                Don
                                  • Re: Lost cosmetic threads
                                    Brad Lovin

Don,

You would gain the added space and weight savings of several hundred dollars not being in your wallet anymore.

Brad

• Re: Lost cosmetic threads
                                      Charles Culp

You will also gain support for true OpenGL, which is the interface used by Solidworks to tell your graphics card how to display the solid model. Right now Solidworks is using the CPU to do all the rendering, and your graphics card is just taking the raw data and throwing it up on the screen. This often causes crashes and errors.

The better solution is to purchase an OpenGL graphics card like the nVidia Quadro series, or the ATI FireGL series. It is an unfortunate reality that they cost a few hundred dollars, while similarly performing DirectX video cards cost $50; that is the way it is right now. It will reduce the burden on your CPU significantly, by utilizing the 3D power of your graphics card. If you deal with complex models this is a huge deal, if you model simple parts, it is not. What is always important, though, is that it will increase system stability.

• Lost cosmetic threads
                              Deepak Gupta
                              Thanks for the head up Don. Deleting registry is one of method but you will rarely see or hear it from SolidWorks users. The support people have some good tools (I guess) to check if the registry is corrupted or not and only after that they recommend this workaround.