10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 1:23 PM by Eduardo Ortiz

Measure Tool Decimal Places

Eduardo Ortiz
      Hi Everyone!

This is bugging me, every time I use the measure tool I have to change the decimal places from two to five.

Is there anyway of setting the default number of decimals you want displayed in the measure tool window to whatever you want?

Or do I have to set the units under document properties of every document to use five decimal places.

Thanks!
        • Measure Tool Decimal Places
          David Anderson
          unfortunately, i think its the latter.
            Deepak Gupta
            You need to set the units under document properties. A macro might be be useful here which can set the units for you.
              Tom Nicholson
              I'll agree with the previous posters, whatever unit precision you have setup in your template, the measure tool will follow.
                  Mike Lydon
                  I do not undersdtand why the Measure tool follows the document precision. I want the Measure precision to be greater than than the unit precision. Most of our dimensioning is .xx, but I want the model to be geometrically accurate, which usually involves more precise measurement/dimensions.

Mike Lydon
                      Jim Wilkinson

Michael Lydon wrote:

I do not undersdtand why the Measure tool follows the document precision. I want the Measure precision to be greater than than the unit precision. Most of our dimensioning is .xx, but I want the model to be geometrically accurate, which usually involves more precise measurement/dimensions.

Hi Mike,

Please see my post to Ed. You should be able to override the units for ALL documents with the "Use custom settings" option.

Thanks,
                      Jim
                    Deepak Gupta
                    Mike,

You can set the option in the measure command but I believe you need to do that every time you use measure tool. So I was suggesting to use a macro.
                      Jim Wilkinson

Eduardo Ortiz wrote:

Is there anyway of setting the default number of decimals you want displayed in the measure tool window to whatever you want?

Or do I have to set the units under document properties of every document to use five decimal places.

Hi Ed,

If you go to the Units/Precision dialog within the measure tool (second button from left) and choose "Use custom settings", whatever settings you set there should be used for ALL documents, regardless of the document settings for the document. That setting should then stay on as long as you leave it on (even across sessions of running SolidWorks) and give you whatever units and precision you have set. The only downside is that you can't just set the precision, but you are setting all the unit related settings to be shown in measure for all documents. So, for instance if some of your documents are in inches and some in millimeters, I would suggest turning on dual units in measure so you can see both types in all documents when using measure.

Let me know if you are not seeing the behavior I describe. I just retested it to make sure it works that way and verified that it does.

Thanks,
                      Jim
                        Josh Brady
                        You might also want to try the SmartMeasure macro posted at

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewth...cfm?qid=241405&page=1

95% of the measuring I need to do works with this macro, so I rarely bring up the measure tool anymore.
                          Deepak Gupta
                          Josh, thanks for sharing that. A very good tool to use.
                            Eduardo Ortiz
                            Thanks everyone for your suggestions I changed my template files to show 5 decimal places and now everything seems to work as I wanted.

I'm not sure if Jim's solution works, since I had to reset the number of decimal places displayed to 5 decimal places every time I used the measure tool. But since I changed the templates the decimal places shown are 5.

I wasn't able to use the macro posted by Josh it crashes every time I run it.

Thanks again everyone!