15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 1:40 PM by Don Vanzile

Poll:  Selecting balloons moves the view

When trying to move the attachment point of a balloon, I virtually always end up moving the view instead. This makes my head spin around like a top. How about yours?

SW, would you kindly fix this very frustrating bug?
        • Poll:  Selecting balloons moves the view
          David Heinemeyer
          I have this happen sometimes when I get in a hurry and don't pay attention to the pick symbol. I normally zoom in and pick very carefully when I need to move a balloon pick point. I find the worst case being when I use Auto Balloon and it places the arrows on the edges of all the parts it selects. This is why I seldom use Auto Balloon. I normally manual balloon and pick surfaces instead of edges so I get the dot which is much easier to pick and move afterwards. Do I wish they would make picking a balloon arrow less sensitive...YES.
            Yeah, but why does the view move when you pick a model edge? Don't you think it should hold still unless you pick the view edge?
                Rachayl Duker
                It is annoying that you have to zoom in so carefully to select a balloon point, or to select many other things for that matter. But I can forgive SW a bit on this one; how are they supposed to know what I want to select in this case? If I have a lot of balloon dragging to do, I turn on selection filters.
                I don't mind that the view can be dragged by choosing a model edge. After all, there is no other reason why I would be dragging a model edge in a drawing. And, often I want to drag a view and when I try to select the view's edge, it starts dragging something else instead - usually an annotation of some sort. Another thing I have to zoom in for.
                Deepak Gupta
                One needs to careful while picking.
                    Steve Calvert
                    Doesn't really bother me at all, I just make sure I'm picking what I want to pick.

Steve
                        Joel Bickel
                        I agree with Rachayl; If I want to move a view, I wouldn't pick a model edge or point, I would pick the view border or blank view space with the ALT button. It didn't bother me too bad before, but now it will now.
                            Jay Andrews
                            I started the same basic thread without a poll some time back....

Turns out it's just about picking the right spot. You need to click near the edge of the tiny square, not in the center of it, or more importantly, make sure the pointer is not directly over a line behind the tiny square.

It used to be annoying to me, but now occasionally I'll grumble a bit at how precise I have to be, but it works every time if you pick on a spot that is not on anything behind the square.

And it's very easy to lock the view position as well.
                              Matthew Lorono

Joel Bickel wrote:

I agree with Rachayl; If I want to move a view, I wouldn't pick a model edge or point, I would pick the view border or blank view space with the ALT button. It didn't bother me too bad before, but now it will now.

I always hate the fact that if a note or balloon arrow tip is attached to a point, you cannot move the arrow, only the view. I think this is extremely goofy. How is SW supposed to know which I want? How about by asking! Or establishing a logical pick order. They've improved over the years, but still have a ways to go in this logic.
                                  Jay Andrews

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Joel Bickel wrote:

I always hate the fact that if a note or balloon arrow tip is attached to a point, you cannot move the arrow, only the view. I think this is extremely goofy. How is SW supposed to know which I want? How about by asking! Or establishing a logical pick order. They've improved over the years, but still have a ways to go in this logic.

Hmm, my message right before yours explains how to do it...
                            Josh Brady
                            Does anyone pay attention to the shape of the mouse pointer? The shape/picture on the mouse pointer will tell you what you would pick if you click at the current point. Note that "Dynamic Highlight from graphics view" has to be enabled to get this functionality.