9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2006 11:01 AM by

2007 Dimension Spin Wheel

Have you tried your mouse driver wheel settings. There usually is a control to specify how many lines are scrolled for each tick of the wheel. Because this happens outside of solidworks maybe it will do what you need?
        • 2007 Dimension Spin Wheel
          Hi Gerald,

You can simply title it "Improve Dimension Spin Wheel Sensitivity" and it would be best to describe a particular scenario where it is problematic and possibly give a proposed solution. There are lots of possibilities of how we could improve this based on the particular problems being encountered. We considered mouse speed and other approaches when implementing it and decided on a simple approach to start.

Thank you,
          Jim Wilkinson
          Director, Usability Group
          SolidWorks Corporation
            Jim -
            The spin wheels are a neat feature, but it would be great to have sensitivity control as Jason has pointed out. When we send in enhancement requests for this, how would you suggest we title and word them so that we're all on the same wavelength with you?

Thanks!

Gerald Davis CSWP
            SW06 SP5.0 Office Professional
            2GB / Opteron 175 / FX3400 / ASUS A8N32-SLI
            http://www.cosug.com Colorado SolidWorks User Group
              Hi Jason,

Now I understand what you mean. At this time, there is not a way to adjust the sensitivity in that manner. Other alternatives you might want to try are:
              1) Use the spin arrows...each click will go up or down one increment and they auto-repeat if you push and hold.
              2) Use the mouse wheel. Each click goes up or down one increment.

Thank you,
              Jim Wilkinson
              SolidWorks Corporation
                Thanks for the tips, but that's not quite what I was asking.

I want to move the mouse further to achive the same increment. Right now, it takes a very small mouse movement to make a one-increment change. I want to decrease the sensitivity so that I have to move the mouse further to get the same change. Using Ctrl and Alt does modify the increment itself, but it does not change the senstitvity of the wheel. It's still requires a very small, precise mouse movement to make a one-increment change.

So, is it possible to change that sensitivity? This isn't meant to be a nit-picky complaint. It is simply an RSI issue... like others have mentioned about the SW fine-mouse movement interface.

Thanks in Advance
                -Jason
                  on 2006 12 08:01 JasonRMadison wrote:
                  >does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the
                  > wheel?...
                  >... I would like to make the
                  > wheel less sensitive, so that it dosen't jump so quickly.

Hi Jason,

While dragging the wheel, if you hold the Alt key, it divides the increment by 10 and if you hold the Ctrl key, it multiplies the increment by 10.

Hope this gives you what you need.

Thank you,
                  Jim Wilkinson
                  SolidWorks Corporation
                    Hi Jason,

Unfortunately there is not an option for this. When you submit your enhancement request, please add this to the request as well.

Thank you,
                    Jim Wilkinson
                    SolidWorks Corporation
                      When entering a new dimension on a sketch, you can now use the spin wheel to increment the dimension. I have customized the increment value to be 0.0625 inches, but does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the wheel? What I mean is that right now, to adjust up or down by 1/16 of an inch, I have to do a very fine, controlled mouse movement. I would like to make the wheel less sensitive, so that it dosen't jump so quickly.

TIA
                        I sent my enhancement request in under User Interface>Value Input>Improve Dimension Spin Wheel Sensitivity with the following description...
                        "I would like to be able to adjust the distance that the actual mouse moves in order to increment a tick on the spin wheel. I know that alt and ctl will change the increment per tick. I want to change the mouse precision required to trigger a tick. I suggest adding a "sensitivity slider" in System Options>Spin Wheel Settings modeled after a conventional mouse sensitivity control. "Low" range means a lot of mouse motion, "Hi" means very little mouse motion" - kind of what you have now. The other settings would be the default increment bump when using CTRL and ALT."

on 2006 12 12:31 Jim Wilkinson wrote:
                        > Hi Gerald,
                        >
                        > You can simply title it "Improve Dimension Spin Wheel Sensitivity" and it would be best to describe a
                        > particular scenario where it is problematic and possibly give a proposed solution. There are lots of
                        > possibilities of how we could improve this based on the particular problems being encountered. We
                        > considered mouse speed and other approaches when implementing it and decided on a simple approach to
                        > start.
                        >
                        > Thank you,
                        > Jim Wilkinson
                        > Director, Usability Group
                        > SolidWorks Corporation
                        >
                        Gerald Davis CSWP
                        SW06 SP5.0 Office Professional
                        2GB / Opteron 175 / FX3400 / ASUS A8N32-SLI
                        http://www.cosug.com Colorado SolidWorks User Group
                          Thanks again for the feedback.

I do have a related question: Is there a way to change the value of the Ctrl and Alt multipliers? If you're working in metric, it makes a lot of sense to do a 10-times, or 10-divide change in the increment, but in fractional, that just doesn't make any sense. In fractional, a 2-times, or 2-divide would be more practical. (Or even 4-times and 4-divide)

-Jason