6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 11:14 AM by Josh Brady

section view dimension positions

Mark Greenwell
      Hi

Atattched is a Zip file with a PDF file with a simple 30mm thk shape with a 11 deg chamfer this = a 6mm bevel.

The dimensions on the section view look upside down in relation to the view, what i would like is to be able to do is dimension like the hand sketch next to it.

I know this is contary to the draughting standard (ISO), but is it possible.

Or what would you surgest as a work around. I do not want to rotate the view, and have been placing a line under the dimension (this was also missed)

The reason for asking is one of our burners read the 6mm dimension as 9mm and burnt a 20 meter plate incorrectly.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2009 SP3)
        • section view dimension positions
          Josh Brady
          Wow, Mark that is really messed up. I don't know how you managed to get dimensions upside down. Can you zip and post the SW files?
              Mark Greenwell
              Hi Josh

Attatched is a sample file of part & drg.

As you can see the dimensions look upside down to the view, this is probably correct to the Standard but just looks wrong.

As i have said it has already caught one of our burners out and i have been asked to see if we can 'flip' the dimensions over, to how the burners would expect to see the dimensions, this was shown in my 1st post.

I have also asked my VAR about this as i realised months ago that this might happen.

Thanks

Megan Fannon
              Mark, I'm not seeing your PDF, just your SW files, so I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but have you tried playing with the settings in Options, Document Properties tab, Dimensions section? Under the options for each type of dimension (linear, angle, etc.) you can set whether the dimension is over, under, or in line with the leader lines, and also whether it is oriented in line with the dimension or reads horizonally. All our dimensions read horizontally which eliminates confusion of this type.
                Josh Brady
                Ah, so your burner is turning his drawing sideways and then reading the numbers? I don't know of any way to make SW put numbers on the incorrect side of the dimension line. If you make your drawings in a non-standard way, then you are to blame if they are incorrectly interpreted. If you follow standards, you cannot be blamed.

There is no way to make a drawing that cannot be misinterpreted/misread. If you bend over too far backwards to hold an incompetent fabricator's hand (and especially if you break with standards while doing so) you will be wasting your time at best and confusing the competent at worst.
                    Mark Greenwell
                    Hi Josh

Sorry to bring this back up, when i have gone back to look at this bevel detail i have noticed that when you drag the Deg dimension (11 deg) it will flip over but the bevel dimension (6mm) will not. See word doc in Zip file.

This as you can see by the two views could be very confusing as anyone looking at the bottom view would think this detail is 11 deg and 9mm when in fact its 11 deg and 6mm.

My question is if the Standards do not allow for the bevel dimension to be fliped why do they allow the angle dimension to be fliped over.

Thanks

Josh Brady
                        It is following the "right hand" rule. Here is how the text angle is determined, in order of priority:

1. The bottom of the text always rests on the dimension line. That's why there is no need to underline text to show its direction. The dimension line forms the underline.
                        2. Text is never drawn past 90° from vertical, either clockwise or counterclockwise.
                        3. It is preferred for text at an angle to be rotated counterclockwise, but only if that does not violate #2 above.

Take a look at the picture below for lots of dimensions at different angles. Take a look at them and see how they follow those rules.

Edit:

This is why we have standards. This is why everyone who works with drawings must understand the standards. In your attached Word document, there is no confusion when the standard is applied. There are times when it is impossible to create a view or dimensions that can be interpreted without knowledge of the standard.