25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 3:59 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Copying sketches

Carrie Ives
      Is it possible to copy a sketch basically right on top of the old one without all the constraints and dimensions back to the model becoming dangling? It is very frustrating to have to reattach everything when all I want was a copy that changes by maybe one dimension (for now).

To clarify - I have a sketch that is similar to another sketch that I will need. I need them to stay independent, but I would like to not have to redo the work I just did. I can copy and paste the sketch onto the plane that I need, but I then have to go fix all the dangling dimensions and constraints that locate the sketch in the model. Is there a way to make a copy that will initially be right on top of the other sketch, but that I can then go edit and change the one or two things that I need to be different?

Thanks,
      Carrie
        • Copying sketches
          Deepak Gupta
          Did you tried using convert entities and copy the sketch.
          • Copying sketches
            Ben Eadie
            I just did a podcast on differing methods of copying and moving sketches. Maybe it will help... I am not sure it will help with the problem you are having as I am not sure I understand. Still may be worth a watch. Also remember that SolidJott is also a addin that will allow you to use the forum and site within the SolidWorks environment.

http://solidjott.com/sketch-ti...nd-tricks/2009/06/11/

Ben
              • Copying sketches
                Lenny Bucholz
                Yes I do this all the time, it's very simple and yet no so simple.

the sketch you have copied has relations and dims that are holding it together, and every sketch has and origin that when it is copied tries to put it to the new origin of the face or plain you are copying it too. WOW, makes sence right?

Now the Sketch is some where on the plane or face, how do you get it were you want it. I said i made a placement sketch, usally a point, it is closed. now i copy the new sketch and paste it, then i use the 2D to 3D tools to move the pasted one to the position i need it. after that i edit it and add a relationship to the placement sketch point and it locks it down, MOST OF THE TIME. why is also how the original sketch was created! if you used converted edges you'll get broken links, but if it was a clen freshly drawn sketch it works great.

you just need to develope your own way, the more you do the easier it gets.
              • Copying sketches
                Craig Siebert
                i have done this too many times to mention so, I will concurr with lenny.
                  • Copying sketches
                    Christopher Thompson
                    I have something to add about copying sketches. When I try copying a sketch from a plane to another plane that is at an angle (ex: 45 or 90 deg.) to the original plane, I have encountered situations where the sketch is mirrored.

When copying the sketches (including a derived sketch), how do I flip the sketch during placement so that it is not mirrored?

Regards,

Chris Thompson

SW 2007 & 2009
                    Pro-E Wildfire 2.0 & 3.0
                      • Copying sketches
                        Jeff Mirisola
                        Chris,
                        Tools->Sketch Tools->Modify. When activated, you'll see a mouse icon. Move it over the black 'L' thingy (technical term there). You'll notice that the symbols on the 'mouse' buttons change. When the RMB changes to "mirrored L's", click the literal RMB. The orientation of the 'L' thingy will determine whether you need to click on the short leg of the L or the long leg.
                          • Copying sketches
                            Christopher Thompson
                            Jeff,

You suggestion is good, but it requires extra steps. During placement, I would like the sketch not to be mirrored. SW should make it easy to create derived sketches in the correct orientation during placement.

This is one of the few areas where it seemed Pro-E was more user friendly. Does your technique for reversing a mirrored sketch work on derived sketches as well?

Regards,

Chris Thompson

SW Premium 2007 (SP 5.0) & 2009 (SP 3.0 hope to move to 4.0 soon!)
                            Pro-E WF 2.0 & 3.0
                            Win XP x64 (64-bit)
                              • Copying sketches
                                Lenny Bucholz
                                Jeff,

You suggestion is good, but it requires extra steps. During placement, I would like the sketch not to be mirrored. SW should make it easy to create derived sketches in the correct orientation during placement.

This is one of the few areas where it seemed Pro-E was more user friendly. Does your technique for reversing a mirrored sketch work on derived sketches as well?

Regards,

Chris Thompson

Chris,

derived sketches/convert entities have external relations and you'd have to break them before you can use the modify tool.

out of the help file: You cannot move a sketch that has multiple external references. When a sketch has multiple external references, the pointer has a ? on the left button.
                                • Re: Copying sketches
                                  Dan Pihlaja

Flip the direction of the plane you are copying to.

All planes have a "normal" direction.

If you flip the direction of the plane, the sketch should go the way you want it to.

• Copying sketches
                            Carrie Ives
                            I have another reason why I would like to copy the sketch exactly as it is and with the same constraints - splitting a complex sketch into several simpler ones. It sounds like Solidworks won't do this as easily as I think it should, so I guess I just live with it.

Thanks,
                            Carrie
                              • Copying sketches
                                Lenny Bucholz

Carrie Ives wrote:

I have another reason why I would like to copy the sketch exactly as it is and with the same constraints - splitting a complex sketch into several simpler ones. It sounds like Solidworks won't do this as easily as I think it should, so I guess I just live with it.

Thanks,

Carrie

Here is a a Tip and Trick on Sketckes.......The simplier the better! Dont try to make a sketch for your part that looks like a 2D drawing, meaning make a sketch of the profile, then on for the holes or bosses or cuts, if it should be a new feature, you should make a new sketch.

here is another trick, start a new sketch on the same plain or face of the sketch you'd like to copy, select the entities you want an convert them, close and copy and then paste.

been working with SW since 1997 as a modelmaker, worked 3 yrs for the VAR as an instructor, tech and have taught at the community college. we tend to make sketching to difficult, think of it as a napkin not ACAD.

IMO

lenny
                                  Tony Cantrell
                                  Take a look at "Tools" - "Dimensions" - "Fully define sketch".
                                • Copying sketches
                                  Charles Culp
                                  Carrie,

Instead of copying the sketch, edit the sketch. Then select all the sketch entities, and copy those. Then create a new sketch, and paste the sketch entities.

This should keep more of the constraints for you.
                                  • Copying sketches
                                    Carrie Ives
                                    We just changed to 2009. In 2007, when I copied a sketch it would ask if I wanted to delete or leave dangling the relations that we're internal to the sketch (i.e. my dimensions back to default datums or other geometry). Now, in 2009, it's just deleting them for me. Is there a setting I need to change to get back to it asking me?

Thanks,
                                    Carrie
                                    • Copying sketches
                                      Charles Culp
                                      Is that a "do not ask me again" checkbox? Go to Tools>Options>Advanced Settings and see if there is a checkbox you dismissed that is now permanently dismissed relating to deleting dangling dimensions.
                                      • Copying sketches
                                        Carrie Ives
                                        Charles,

I checked. None of the messages that I have permanently dismissed seem to have anything to do with deleting the dangling dimensions.

Thanks,
                                        Carrie
                                          • Copying sketches
                                            Raj Deshpande
                                            Sometimes, I convert the original Sketch to Block and copy the Block to new location. That way, I don't have dangling relations and can use new Sketch Relations to locate the copied Block/Sketch.

CSWP
                                            SW 2009 SP 0
                                            Dell Precision 380
                                            Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 300 GHz
                                            2 GB, 533 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM
                                            nVidia Quadro FX 3450, 256 MB PCIe
                                            Andrew Munro

Hi,

I think I understand what your'e trying to accomplish.

-Select the sketch in the Feature Manager

-Copy the sketch using CTRL+C or Edit, Copy

-Select the face/plane where you want to paste the sketch

-Paste the copied sketch using a CTRL+V or Edit, Paste (be sure NOT to open a new sketch on the face/plane prior to doing the paste otherwise you'll lose the dimensions and relations of the copied sketch)

If you want to do it another way (though this involves more mouse clicks, but is better when copying from one document to another)

-Edit the sketch you want to copy

-Once in edit sketch mode, copy the entities in the sketch using either to the methods described above

-Select the face/place where you want to paste the sketch

-Start a new sketch

-Once in edit sketch mode, paste the copied sketch--dims and relations should be preserved.

Regards,

Ausdell

Mohan Rao
                                              Try derived sketches. Underive it when need to modify it.
                                                Alessandro Frattini

You can:

1) Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

2) Derived sketch

3) Save the sketch

4) Feature Palette with only the sketch

Bernie Daraz

I like to make and use Blocks for cases like this. My two cents anyway.

John Stoltzfus

Carrie,

You mentioned that you have a sketch one on top of the other that are similar.

This is what I do;

Front Plane open sketcher (sketch 1), make a 2 inch square block, close sketcher (sketch 1).  Offset a Plane 2" from the front Plane (sketch two), open sketcher, highlight sketch 1 and convert entities and you're done.  The nice part about doing it this way is all of your constraints are tied to sketch 1, however you can delete one line and add a circle or a radius and you are still tied to your sketch 1. 

You can only do this if your sketch is right on top of another, otherwise the others have good answers,

John

Tyler B.

Carrie,

I know this is some time later but i may have found an answer to your question.

On the sketch you want to copy, select all lines and dimensions. While everything is highlighted, click show/ hide relations. In my version it shows these relations in a side window as a list, underneath the selected entities. By default it selects one dimension, usually the top one. Scroll to the bottom of this relation list, hold shift and click the last relation, selecting all the relations. This should add all those relations to your highlighted geometry. Hit copy by control+c. When you paste this, either in a new spot or a new sketch, it will copy all relations and dimensions. At this point all my lines are still unconstrained. After dimensioning one corner horizontally and vertically, it becomes fully defined, and with all my constraints. In your case for wanting your sketch directly on top of the other, just position your sketch with the two horizontal and vertical dimensions to put it in the same spot as your previous sketch. I find it works best dimensioning to the origin to get it to line up in the same place.

Hope this helps!

Dan Pihlaja

I know that this isn't necessarily the direction that you were talking about, but have you tried putting all the geometry into just one sketch, then using the "selected contours" feature when extruding it (assuming you are extruding) to just extrude a portion?

In the following screenshot 3 screenshots, I give an example of this.  I made the block with just one sketch, sketched onto the front plane., then used the "selected contours" tool to use the geometry that I wanted for each block.

The other option is to put all the geometry into one sketch, then create a 2nd sketch and "convert entities" of just the geometry that you want.