3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 11:32 AM by David Stone

centre of gravity

Mark Greenwell
      Hi

Why is there no option to automaticaly place a center of gravity position in either a part or assembly drawing view(s). Or have i missed something.

This option is available in other programmes and auto updates its position in the relevant views as you modify / place parts.

If its not possible i would hope to see it added at the next release.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2009 SP3)
        • centre of gravity
          David Stone
          Mark

I've attached a Macro file that, when run, places a 3D sketch point at the CoG. Please note - I don't think it updates if the model is changed. the macro needs to be run once all modelling is completed or after any changes.

Hope this helps for the time being.

David
            • centre of gravity
              Mark Greenwell
              Thanks Dave,

Ive been onto my VAR about this and they have supplied me with a macro that will insert the COG into a part drawing. Waiting for the one that will also do an assembly drawing.

When we moved from Inventor to SolidWorks we were lead to belive that this function was available out of the box, as Inventor has it. Imagine our supprise when we found this function was not available, hence the supplied macro from our VAR

I am sure lots of other users would like the ability to add a COG to an assembly / part drawing, and it would be nice if someone from SolidWorks would comment on this issue.

Mark (SolidWorks 2009 Sp3)

• centre of gravity
                  David Stone
                  Mark

The macro I uploaded should also give a CoG for assemblies. Not exactly the automated solution you were looking for and I agree an automated version would be useful to us (instead of the usual faffy add-ons that are no doubt fattening up SolidWorks 2010!!)

It can't be hard to do as the software can already pinpoint a CoG with the mass properties feature.