4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 11:11 PM by Mahir Abrahim

Design Scenario with Fixtures

Mahir Abrahim
      I would like to automate running multiple studies that differ only by the method of fixture. For example, I have an irregular bar fixed at the ends with the other fixed points variable. I can't drive the fixture location with a dimension because the split line creates surface entities whose ID changes based on where the split is located. So instead I have 4 different studies with different permutations of 4 fixture features (1-4) that are either suppressed or not. The 4 permutations are 1, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4. Right now I'm manually running these studies, but would love to find a way to click a button and run them all one after the other. Again, the different permutations are exactly the same (material, load, mesh) except for the application of fixtures. Thanks for any help.
        • Design Scenario with Fixtures
          Ian Hogg
          Hi Mahir,

I was just testing 2009 sp3, and even having different configurations, I can use the run all studies to get them solved.

The downside is that it runs them in parallel, and does not que them up to solve one after the other. This would obviously be a great enhancement. If you've seen how Flow Simulation manages this, it would be great to have that for simulation also.

The only other alternative I can see is writing a macro to manage this. Technically it's not too hard, but I'm rusty on my VB skills, but there are examples in the API help. All you would do is traverse the studies, run each one in turn. I had a look and there appears to be api functions to process a run & know when it finishes. The only thing I haven't found yet is something that identifies the configuration associated with a study to ensure it is active. There should be something there, or perhaps making the study active does this automatically. A little testing should confirm this.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Ian
            Mahir Abrahim
            Thanks Ian. I've never programmed for Cosmos, but I'll give it a go.
                Mahir Abrahim
                Here is the macro I ended up writing. I know I can use the "Run All Studies" command that Ian pointed out, but it has its down sides. As far as I can tell, it's only available in the Run flyout button. I'm happily toolbar and command manager free, so I didn't feel like adding this button to any of my toolbars. As Ian mentioned, the studies are run in parallel. This basically makes your PC unusable until everything's finished. Lastly, I wanted to fiddle with the Simulation API