12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 10:31 AM by Richie Yosten

Server Migration...w/ change to AD users

Richie Yosten
      We are planning a server migration to better hardware. We are on 2009 SP0 right now so we'd perform the upgrade to SP3.0 as part of the migration. To ratchet up the level of difficulty I was planning on changing our logon scheme to use AD user accounts instead of the pdm user accounts we have now. Anyone try something like this?

I've been told by a smart person it would be a good idea to start a new vault (for AD) and migrate data over as you can and go forward in the new vault...but wouldn't you lose the history of anything moved? I can forsee many issues in changing the way a vault is logged in to once it is established. It would be an absolute requirement that everything be checked in...etc.

Thoughts?
        • Server Migration...w/ change to AD users
          We made the same transition. First of all you must be sure that all files are checked in. We made a group on AD on witch we add all the users that are using PDM. In archive server configuration utility add the new group on the attach access. An issue my be that the user defined in PDM have the same name in AD. Now in PDM administration you can add the new users. Also you can copy prop. from existing users and add to existing groups defined in PDM. You can find related information in the Installation Guide.
          Good Luck!
              Richie Yosten
              Ok...so you kept everything in the same vault and just changed the user account source. That's exactly what we want to do so it's nice to hear it can be done without too much issue.
                  Todd Puckett
                  I had the same question with regard to using AD login.
                  Is there any downside to using AD login?
                  We currently use PDM login and have contractors that do not have AD accounts.
                  How is the EPDMW Admin account affected if you already have an AD admin account?

From past experience I would suggest you change servers and perform upgrades at separate times. There is little advantage with doing them all at once. It would be much easier to trouble shoot any problems that might occur. There are many changes that need to be made to the client's registry manually, especially if you are changing the name of both the database server and archive server.

Todd I think you can have also AD user and other users. All the users that have access to PDM can be added in Archive server configuration utility.
                        Richie Yosten
                        I've been testing the migration on a VM and the database portion went fine. The archive server seems to have a comm issue (all components on same server). I have updated the reg enteries just as the intructions say and I'm getting a "Could not add file" message when trying to just add a text file to the migrated vault.

The client logs this:
                        ******************************************************************
                        Description:
                        RceDll: Error accessing a file on the Archive Server.

Date: 2009-06-18 08:18:45
                        Module: Explorer.EXE
                        Function: ErrorMsg::mvEmit
                        Error code: E_EDM_RCE_ERROR

Error code general description:
                        Error accessing the revision management system. Network connection down?
                        ******************************************************************
                        I've updated the 3 reg keys and made sure the server name is updated in the db...no joy.

I also created a vault within the new implementation of pdm on the test server and can add files just fine...so obviously I'm missing something.

Any ideas?
                            Joy Garon
                            Hi Richie -

Check the archive server log and see if there is more info there...(in the admin tool, select the server name, right-click Show the Archive Server Log)
                            See attached zip for more troubleshooting ideas.

Best Regards,
                            Joy
                                Richie Yosten
                                Description:
                                Error accessing a file on the Archive Server.

Operation type: Op_AddFile
                                GUID: a786ddb2-7e92-4c0f-a7d9-b08838c02c49
                                File ID: 0x195a5
                                Vault: 00196AC8
                                File size: 0
                                Connected to: 10.200.2.15:1100
                                Local file path: C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Enterprise\Data\TDA\5\000195a5

Date: 2009-06-18 08:30:45
                                Module: ArchiveServerService
                                Function: Connection::mhAddFile
                                Error code: E_FVC_IO_ERROR

Error code general description:
                                Error accessing a file on the Archive Server.
                                    Joy Garon
                                    Hi Rich -<br /><br />Here is the key...<br />Error accessing a file on the Archive Server. <br /><br />Does this path exist?<br />C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Enterprise\Data\TDA\5\000195a5  on the archive server?<br /><br />Look in the registry:<br />HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Computers\<local>\Archives<br />Does  (Default) match the path to the archive server files? C:\Program Files\PDMWorks Enterprise\Data\<br /><br />Also check:<br />HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\TDA and be sure Server is the correct machine name.<br /><br />And:<br />HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\TDA\ArchiveTable<br /><br />and check that the path names are correct: <br />ArchiveTable5    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\Enterprise PDM Exercise\ArchiveTable<br /><br />Beyond that you may need to involve your VAR to assist...<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />Joy<br />
                                      Richie Yosten
                                      Can anyone tell me the difference in:

C:\Program Files\Solidworks Enterprise PDM\Data\TDA\0

and

C:\Program Files\Enterprise PDM\Data\TDA\0

Geez!!!!!

We actually had it directly under the C: (C:\Enterprise PDM\Data\....) so of course I just added Program Files to the path in the reg and went on about my business. Wow!!!

Thanks for your help and I promise that next time it will be a real problem when I post.
                                          Richie Yosten
                                          Two parts: Change in order of events and debating on how a specific vault is moved.

I chaged up the order of the upgrade a bit and wanted to see if anyone had a comment. Our guys are are traveling a lot right now so I figured I'd change the order of the transition. It was going to be:

1 Get everyone on AD (setup accounts, join computers to the domain etc)

2 Migrate PDM to new server, update to SP3 (from 0) and change the logon type to AD Users

Now it will be:

1 Migrate to new server

2 Update PDM to SP3

3 Users join the domain

4 Switch Logon to vault to AD Users

Obviously there will be testing, etc at each step but I think thi is the way to go...just looking for comments.

Now...the specific vault movement:
                                          The Installation instructions aren't very detailed but I have completed a test migration to a VM successfully. There were some things I assumed along the way because it wasn't spelled out and would like comments on those items if anyone has experience with a pdm move.

I began to doubt the need to recover the archive server settings. I seems like it just sets some registry settings that will be looked at anyway and could add info you don't need if you have some test vaults that you don't really want to bring over. When I began the move I assumed I should create a TDA vault on the new server so the PDM would be aware that the vault exists. When you create a vault things happen behind the scenes in the ConisioMasterDB and in the reg. I assumed it was better that pdm create the vault so the rest of the system is aware that it exists and then recover the db and files from the old environment. It worked fine but now I'm not sure if my logic was flawed or not and obviously that's not the exact path that the instructions give but I feel like the instructions are incomplete anyway. Thoughts?
                            • Re: Server Migration...w/ change to AD users
                              Richie Yosten

Still testing...yup it is taking longer than I would have liked but being an IT department of one has its challenges.  So far so good...I tested on a vm environment and that went well.  I now have a successful test completed of the new production environment and am polishing up the client migration package.  I did notice one thing in client testing with Windows 7 Ultimate and I don't see on the server (client) or an XP Pro vault view.  It seems that in Windows 7 the deleted folders (and maybe files) that haven't been destroyed show up in their original location.  I've got one directory that has several 'New Folder' directories that show to be deleted in the folder properties dialog.  Has anyone else seen this?  I haven't had a chance to test Vista yet so I hope it is just something unaccounted for in Win7.

Thoughts?