We use SolidWorks in virtual workplaces (VDI).
Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17098360 (3 UPDATE).
Physical server parameters:
Dell PowerEdge R740
CPU: Intel (R) Xeon (R) Gold 6246R CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 256 GB DDR4 2933 MHz
vGPU: NVIDIA QUADRO RTX 8000 Driver NVIDIA-VMware-450.89-1OEM.618.104.22.16869922
The equipment was selected based on the compatibility information on the official SolidWorks website.
Windows 10 LTSC \ Windows Server 2016
CPU: 8 cores, no hyper-threading
RAM: 24 GB
vGPU: either 4q or 8q profiles (4 or 8 gigabytes of video memory). Driver 452.57_grid
The connection is made using the VMware Horizon Client.
Constructors complain about the unsatisfactory performance of SolidWorks:
For example, a 750-components assembly and drawing.
1. When using the local view, the movement of the selection area greatly slows down (occurs in jerks with a 2sec delay somewhere).
2. Components connected by mating also slow down during rotation - they spin in jerks.
3. Typical operations themselves also slow down.
4. During all braking, load curves for peak values do not come out, maximum values up to 70% were obtained.
As a result, we began to test performance using the built-in SolidWorks RX performance test on VDI and a local workstation (laptop) on SolidWorks Professional 2020 SP5 and 2021 SP1 versions at a screen resolution of 2560x1440.
Local station configuration:
Windows 10 Home
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
RAM: 16 GB 2667 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA 2060 RTX 6 GB Driver: 460.89 DCH
Results (screenshots of tests are attached):
1. On the laptop, the results of all tests are better than on the VDI. Why?
1.1. Especially graphically.
1.2. For VDI, there is no difference from the profile with 4 GB or 8 GB of video memory - absolutely identical result.
2. On VDI on windows server 2016, the performance is better than on WIN 10 LTSC.
3. Performance (and real-world performance) of SolidWorks 2020 is significantly better than SolidWorks 2021. Why?
3.1. It is typical for both local station and VDI.
4. The SW21 test results after automatic upgrade from 2020 are worse than uninstalling SolidWorks and a clean install of 2021. Why?
4.1. It is typical for both local station and VDI.
Additional questions based on the configuration of the physical server:
1. With assemblies of what size (number of components) we can count on comfortable work.
1.1. From what number of components to enable "large assembly mode".
2. Why work slows down, although there are more than enough free resources.
2.1. Even on an assembly of 450 components it slows down and no matter what graphics settings are, whether RealView is enabled.