AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I fully and correctly constrain a panel modeled with 2D elements where the panel is simply supported on two ends?

Question asked by William Hensley on Feb 4, 2021
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2021 by Kiana Russel

I have a panel modeled with shell FEM elements. I want simply supported ends so I applied 3 translational constraints to a small rectangular surface at both ends. How would I go about constraining the rotational DOF. The problem I´m experiencing is that I tried to constrain the rotational constraints on the edges such that I didn´t over constrain my model and make it a clamped clamped constraint, but it doesn´t seem to matter what I do. It´s always brick walling both sides. This makes no sense to me. I even tried splitting the surface and applying all rotational contraints on a small surface near 1 edge, but that still resulted in clamped clamped. Makes no sense to me.

I´m doing a buckling analysis. I want 0% fixity at the two ends. The other two sides are free edges.

Please be gentle with me, it´s my first post here. Yes, I have searched my an answer prior but there doesn´t seem to be much info on simply supported panel buckling analysis.

I have attached some documentation. to show my work and how I´ve tried to constrain my part.

Attachments

Outcomes