6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 4:41 AM by Deepak Gupta

NPT threading

Ruben Badillo
      Does anyone know how to create an npt external npt thread in solidworks.
        • NPT threading
          Jeff Mirisola
          Swept cut using a helix. You can also use cosmetic threads so you're not wasting processing power creating the literal cut.
          • NPT threading
            David Paulson
            Ruben, you can also do a revolved cut of the correct width and depth and then just pattern it. I know this takes less time than using a helix, but suspect the rebuild time is quicker as well. If anyone has the definitive answer to that, please let me know. But the drawing will correctly reflect the thread.
            • NPT threading
              Deepak Gupta
              Ruben,

There is no fun in creating no only NPT threads but any other threads until unless you have a specific requirement or case for doing that. As other answered the question i.e using cosmetic threads, I will say that using them is the best and easiest solution.
              • NPT threading
                David Paulson
                Ruben,

All of the posts to your issue of NPT Threads on a part make sense, at least from the perspective of the designer.

If your end product has NPT threads, then I think that it makes sense from nothing other than a marketing point of view that the threads should represent reality on your product.

If your product is an assembly, of which the part that needs threads is a component, then you probably don't even need cosmetic threads.

Threaded connections are somewhat beyond the abilities of Routing. The objective of any pipe joint is that it does not leak. The issue with a threaded joint is how many turns might this take. And the application of pipe dope and teflon tape does not compute in SolidWorks. Do you need the pipe to turn 6 times or do you need it to tunn 7 times to stop the leakage????

From the perspective of an OEM fabricator that is using threaded components, display of any kind of threads makes no sense. You only have to be concerned about the number of turns on the pipe that will create a leak proof joint. And the number of turns definitely affects the cut length of the pipe.

I think that designing products with SW using threaded fittings is very limited. The manufacturing tolerances are rather large. So, I think that you show no threads if the part is a component in an assembly, show cosmetic threads if you are sharing your design in SW or an eDrawing, or actual depiction of threads if threads are integral to your end product.
                • NPT threading
                  Deepak Gupta
                  Thanks David, this is really good explanation.