7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 7:57 PM by Eric Snyder

Features and layers

Eric Snyder
      I have sketchA and sketchB in a part. I insert the part in a drawing so the drawing is linked to the sketches. I want to be able to make skecthA be on layer one in the drawing and sketchB be in layer two. Is this possible?
        • Features and layers
          Mark Kaiser
          Without converting the sketches into sketch entities in the drawing, I'm not sure this is possible.

What are you trying to accomplish?
          • Features and layers
            Eric Snyder
            I have also seen that I can place the same model in a new sheet and then hide the features differently. Is there a way to place the same model on two seperate sheets in exactly the same place?
            • Features and layers
              Eric Snyder
              Sorry. We posted at the same time.

I am creating DXF files for CNC cutting. The model is a 3D tool that is made elsewhere and we are making multiple parts that mate to the tool. The model for the tool has multiple sketches that combine to make part A and more sketches that combine to make part B. Part A and B laso share some sketches.

What I have worked out so far is to insert the model in the drawing and then go through the laborious process of finding and hiding features in the feature tree. Once I get the drawing looking like what I want I save as a DXF and the start hiding/showing features for part B. I am looking for an easy way that I can switch between my three different "views" to quickly and easily save each "view" as a DXF file.
                • Features and layers
                  Mark Kaiser
                  Would it be possible to create configurations in the part file of the 'views' you need? Are you working with SW files or imported from another program?

I don't think there's a way to place a view on a drawing in the same spot on 2 different sheets. You can copy and paste and entire drawing sheet, not sure if it'd give you what you need. In drawing sheet space, do a ctrl-c and ctrl-v, follow the prompts.

For the few dxf files I do, I save as dxf, open the dxf back up, then move the entire dxf sketch to 0,0 from a desired point. This is done as sketch entities on a drawing sheet that the dxf gives, not a drawing view from a part.
                • Features and layers
                  Eric Snyder
                  Yes, Very close. The only problem is that I can create two different views and then drag one of them to a different place in the drawing. If I do this then the other does not follow. I have to click and hide elements in the drawings and whn I do I sometimes move then slightly by accident. Any ideas on how to fix the entities in the drawing views in 2d space?
                  • Features and layers
                    Eric Snyder
                    Yep. Thanks.