19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 3:29 PM by Stephen Reed

Pro E to SolidWorks

Stephen Reed
      We have a need to import Pro E parts & assemblies into SolidWorks 2009 sp.3.0. What is best format to use from Pro E? I know SolidWorks is supposed to open Pro E files but am wondering how well that works especially on assemblies. What about Pro E drawings, do they import?

I have no Pro E experience but I'm sure it exports to step files; does it export to parasolids? Recommendations?

Thanks much!

• Pro E to SolidWorks
          Lenny Bucholz
          step is best out of ProE, parasolids is a add on. and file open ProE is a crap shoot!

ProE thru in alot of crap to give SW fits!
          • Pro E to SolidWorks
            John Lhuillier
            Pro E drawings WILL NOT import into SW. Step is by far better than the native Pro E files even though you can do some feature recognition with the native files.
            • Pro E to SolidWorks
              Stephen Reed
              Thanks Lenny & John. That's just the info I was looking for.

Much Appreciated,
              Steve
                • Pro E to SolidWorks
                  Christopher Thompson
                  When importing Pro-E models into SW that have complex geometry, the Pro-E parts may not always import as a solid. As a result, the import feature frequently needs to be healed inside SW.

I typically have better success saving the Pro-E file as a STEP file, then import into SolidWorks. I suppose saving the Pro-E file as a Parasolid could work depending on the quality of the Parasolid file that Pro-E can export.

If you have FeatureWorks, you can try to recognize features from the Pro-E imported file if the Pro-E part has simple geometry.

Regards,

Chris Thompson

SolidWorks Premium 2007 & 2009
                  Pro-E WF 2.0 & 3.0
                    • Pro E to SolidWorks
                      Phil Marra
                      Chris,
                      Does Pro-E offer a parasolid export? Its been a while but I do know that it was not available in the past. Could be with Wildfire they offer parasolid.
                        • Pro E to SolidWorks
                          Stephen Reed
                          Phil, see the reply above from Lenny. He indicates that saving to a parasolid out of Pro-E requires an add-on. Not having any Pro-E experience, I have no idea personally.

Chris, thanks for your input. Looks like the consensus is that a step file is the best export option out of Pro-E for import to SolidWorks.

Thanks,
                          Steve
                            • Pro E to SolidWorks
                              Christopher Thompson
                              Pro-E does not require a Parasolid add-on (see attached JPEG), or at least not as of Pro-E Wildfire 2.0 or later.

If exporting the file as a STEP does not import into SolidWorks as a watertight model, then try exporting from Pro-E as a Parasolid (*.x_t). Refer to this Pro-E MCAD discussion about file exchange between SW and Pro-E.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
                              www.appianwaytech.com

SolidWorks Premium 2007 & 2009
                              Pro-E Wildfire 2.0 & 3.0
                                • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                  Phil Marra
                                  Good to know that Pro-E supports parasolid exports. I guess I do remember hearing that Wildfire had that option for export. Whenever I ask for parasolid from a Pro-e user they have no clue so I end up taking step and/or native files.
                                  However I do not agree on the step export being the best choice. Whenever possible I would take parasolid first, step, then igs. Also I have had decent results with the native Pro-E files as long as the part is not too complex.

• Pro E to SolidWorks
                                      Lenny Bucholz
                                      from the PTC website: you have to purchace Parasolid separetly! so some people have it and some don't.

* Support for import and export of CATIA V4, CATIA V5 and UG, including PTC's
                                      patented Associative Topology Bustm; compatibility and support for I-DEAS import
                                      can be purchased separately.

Also here is the link to the PDF file I copy and pasted from: http://ptc.com/WCMS/files/4613.../4308_ProE_Bro_EN.pdf

Page 4, midway down called, Interoperability and Data Exchange , end of line: Parasolid import/export*

I worked for the SolidWorks Reseller as a trainer and Tech Support person for 3 yrs. would get asked this all the time.

lenny

• Pro E to SolidWorks
                                          Todd Engle
                                          Phil is correct to request Parasolids first, but not from ProE/Wildfire.
                                          ProE/Wildfire has Granite as the kernel.
                                          STEP is the better choice.

SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Unigraphics and a thousand other applications use the Parasolid kernel.
                                          From non-ProE apps, Parasolid is the best choice.

The Parasolid kernel is also the reason SolidWorks (and the others) can not open future versions.
                                            • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                              Stephen Reed
                                              Todd, would you elaborate a little on the last statement about SolidWorks (and others) being unable to open future versions?

Thanks,
                                              Steve
                                                • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                  Lenny Bucholz
                                                  he means SW2007 can not open SW2008,2009,2010.

Backwards compadibilty, older version cant read new versions, but newer can read older.
                                                    • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                      Anna Wood
                                                      I think Steve was referring to Todd's comment that the parasolid kernal was the reason there was no ability to open future versions.

Steve, I am pretty sure, is aware that there currently is no capability to save as an older version. Why is the question and Todd appears to know something the rest of us don't about the parasolid kernal.

Cheers,
                                                        • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                          Stephen Reed
                                                          Anna, yes thanks.

If Todd is referring to backwards compatibility, that's a hot topic on the forums and has been for awhile.

Great information everybody; it's been most helpful.

Thanks,
                                                          Steve
                                                          • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                            Lenny Bucholz

Anna Wood wrote:

I think Steve was referring to Todd's comment that the parasolid kernal was the reason there was no ability to open future versions.

Steve, I am pretty sure, is aware that there currently is no capability to save as an older version. Why is the question and Todd appears to know something the rest of us don't about the parasolid kernal.

Cheers,

same difference, backwards or can't open future versions, their parasolid kernals
                                      • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                        Brian Hoerner
                                        I do a lot of Pro to SW conversions, and even though for the most part I would agree that STP is the first best choice, even that doesn't always work. There are actually times when IGES works better. It is a mix of poor modeling in Pro, and the difference of actual CAD system tolerances, and other variable not worth getting into for this question. As far as a Parasolid out of Pro...junk,junk,junk,junk....did I mention it is junk? Most times SW won't even read them in at all. simple geometry is fine opening directly through SW, although it is going through a translation anyway, you just aren't telling it to.

IMHO
                                          • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                            Phil Marra
                                            Brian,

You are correct about step vs Iges. If you compare the two most the time I find step will be the better, but at times iges is better, and the native Pro-E file can sometimes be better. I have always believed it is an end result of the native file and how poorly/good it was developed.
                                            As for parasolid out of Pro-E I cant recall ever getting one. I do rem. when PTC aquired a "mid-range" cad package (circa 2000) to try to compete with SW, Ironcad, Solidedge and the like, they did have a parasolid translator they worked fine. I believe that is the package they eventually converted to "Wildfire".
                                              • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                Jeff Smith
                                                From someone else who imports Pro/E files on a daily basis, Brian and Phil nailed it.

I usually rely on Step for starters but, as stated above, sometimes Iges or direct will give better results. Don't waste your time with the Parasolids option.
                                                  • Pro E to SolidWorks
                                                    Stephen Reed
                                                    Jeff, looks like that is the consensus, step files in most cases with direct import if the part isn't too complex.

These are the kind of answers I was hoping to get; people that are doing this kind of import regularly. The forums are a great source of information; too bad I missed this mornings webinar on the new forum updats.

Thanks to all for their help.
                                                    Steve