AnsweredAssumed Answered

Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Years

Question asked by Rick Becker on Dec 23, 2020
Latest reply on Dec 24, 2020 by John Stoltzfus

New Guy at the Shop…

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the shop, not a spindle was running, they were all e-stopped. The bars were stacked neatly, the chip trays were bare, not a drop of coolant polluted the air.

The CAT 40s were all put away in their drawers, the kitty litter was swept away from the floors. We had just locked up and had a few beers, maybe some shots and said a few "cheers!".

Then inside the shop we heard awful chatter, so we unlocked that bitch to see what was the matter. We opened the door and ran inside, when low and behold, there's the freakin new guy!

His endmill was hanging out 8xD, he had no business on that CNC! "Stop it" we yelled as it took the next cut, "If the boss comes in, it'll be all our butts!". The feed was too fast, but he couldn't tell, till the blank shot out like a bat outta hell. It smashed into the door and cracked the glass, on a brand new mill that had never been crashed. The collet was shot and the vise was smashed, we were convinced they'd fire his ass.

The new guy looked sick, his face was bright red, and beads of sweat rolled down his head. His lower lip shook and he started to cry, the rest of us kinda felt bad for this guy.

"Ok, ok" I said with a sigh, let's set it back up and give it a try. We trammed in the vise, got a new tool, and we started to teach a few things to this fool. His SFM was way too slow, but how the hell was he gonna know?

With a brand new tool and the rapid down low, we made sure he watched his distance to go. We watched as the end mill entered the cut, and to our surprise the feed could go up. He cranked the knob to 200% as around and around the profile it went. It sounded happy and the chips looked right too, the perfect shade of cobalt blue.

Before we knew it the cycle was done, and the new guy had made his part #1. "Alright" we said, "let's clean this shit up, and get back to the bar with beer in our cups". The new guy came in and bought us a round, he thanked us again for the skills he had found.

We told dirty joke and had a good time, and by last call we all liked the new guy. Sometimes we forget that once we were new, and were learning these things we knew not how to do. So if ever you're tempted to act like a jerk, remember the time you were the new guy at work. 

To everyone within the sound of my typing I want to say, from the bottom of my heart...

Merry/Happy/Joyous Christmas/Hanukkah/Ramadan/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice/Tet/Festivus For The Rest Of Us/Christmahannukwanzadan or whatever

Outcomes