AnsweredAssumed Answered

OT - Help with Some Math

Question asked by Don Cheke on Dec 13, 2020
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2020 by Orlando Soriano

I am hoping someone can help me with some math. I am not sure if I am looking for permutations or combinations, so let me know that and the totals if you can.

For all intents and purposes I have an object that has 4 plastic parts and I have 6 colors to choose from.

A. How many variations can I get mixing all colors using all six colors in any 1 part, so each part can be any color and in any combination with the others? Is this a permutation of 720?

B. This is the one I want to use most for the sake of offering a dual color choice. If I want to have the outer body 1 color and the inner body 1 color (so using 2 colors only) but allowing for the 2 colors to be the same. (i.e. you might have black outside and yellow outside, or black inside and black outside, etc.)? Is this a permutation of 36 (30 + 6)?

Is this helpful? https://www.calculator.net/permutation-and-combination-calculator.html

This is just some info I want to use in a Design Talk video I am working on, a new series I am pondering and planning on offering for free on my YouTube channel. Similar you my TurboCAD Tips, but not CAD software specific.

Outcomes