11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 8:21 PM by Mahir Abrahim

Sketch entities and performance

Eric Snyder
      I have found that when I get over a certain number of sketch entities things really, really slow down. When I do a move it is literally taking two or three minutes for the move command to prepare to be used. There is nothing that I can do to reduce the number of sketch entities.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? More RAM?
        • Sketch entities and performance
          Anna Wood
          What are your systems spec's and version/SP of SolidWorks. Add to your signature in your forum profile.

Define certain number. How many entities are you putting into a single sketch? Is this in parts, asm or drawings?

Give some more specifics of what you are doing. Include a screenshot of your sketch.

Cheers,

Mahir Abrahim
            A CPU upgrade would probably help the most, but bumping your RAM will also speed things up a bit thanks to reduced pagefile hard drive thrashing. Also make sure your sketch is as simple as possible. Make use of symmetry. By that I don't mean use symmetric relations. I mean only sketch half of the symmetric part and use a pattern/mirror feature instead. Don't add fillets/chamfers in the sketch. If none of these work, try separating the sketch into two simpler sketches. I might have more to add if you attached a pic of an example sketch.
              Eric Snyder
              I can't post a visual because of confidentiality but I can describe it. It is letters that are created using splines in Adobe Illustrator. In this case a name with 10 letters. I have no control over that. Once it is imported into SW the name is linear patterned to make 4 copies. The letters get laser cut and the controller does not "do" splines so it has to be converted to plines or lines and arcs. After a letter gets converted I am guessing that it ends up with somewhere between 50 - 400 entities per letter. My guess is that my entire sketch has between 3,000 - 5,000 entities. I have used both sketch in a part and drawings. I honestly prefer to use sketches rather than drawings because of personal preference. Sketch in a part seems to tolerate a few more elements before it bogs down.

When I load the file SW turns off:
              Automatic Relations
              Automatic Solve
              Enable Snapping
                Charles Culp
                Try doing each letter in a separate sketch.
                  Eric Snyder
                  Mahir, Charles:

Good idea - breaking up the sketch into smaller sizes and having separate sketches. I have just created a name separately and then inserted that into an assembly. Since each name is identical I can edit one name and then use that four times. That seems to be helping.

Question. How to handle this scenario...

Let's say I break the 40 letters into 40 separate sketches and I need to move the entire 40 sketches to another location. Is there a way that I could move the first sketch and the the other 39 would follow?
                    Eric Snyder
                    Sorry Mark. That confuses me. How do you insert the sketches in an assembly?
                    What is an assembly cut?
                      Eric Snyder
                      Yes. Quite a few. I don't mean to be smart mouthed it's just that it seems everyday I find new features that would have made the last 50 assemblies go smoother, etc.

I have inserted parts into assemblies but not sketches. Do you mean put the sketch in a part and then insert the part?
                          Mark Kaiser

Eric Snyder wrote:

I have inserted parts into assemblies but not sketches. Do you mean put the sketch in a part and then insert the part?

Yes, that's what I meant. Thought it would be easier to move the many sketches you have if you set it up as an assembly.

Assembly cuts are just cut extrude features created in an assembly. Thought you could use your inserted text sketch parts for assembly cuts.

If you didn't want to use assembly cuts, while in the assembly, you can edit the part you want to cut, and use the text sketch as reference geometry for part cuts.

You might want to look up 'top down' design or 'in context' modeling.

Just trying to plant seeds for thought.

Mahir Abrahim
                          Eric,
                          Try creating a sketch block out of either the whole name or each individual letter. I've never tested the use of sketch blocks for performance purposes, but in theory SW should run more quickly because it treats each letter/name as a single entity instead of 100s of individual lines.