Jason Henke

Windows Server 2008 Which Version

Discussion created by Jason Henke on Jun 3, 2009
I have a question about PDM Server, SolidWorks Network License Manager, and PDM Web Contributor. We're currently running PDM Sever and SolidWorks Network License Manager, and PDM Web Contributor on a Windows Server 2008 32bit Standand Edition SP1. As of right now we've had no issues getting PDM Server, SolidWorks Network License Manager, and PDM Web Contributor working, everythings been working great. We did however have to install an IIS role in order to get our PDM Web Contributor to work. No big deal though. My question is, is we need to upgrade the OS of this server. You see our server is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Dual Quad Core with 16GB of RAM. Windows Server 2008 32bit Standard Edition will only use 4GB of RAM according to Microsoft. So we have a couple of options, upgrade to Windows Server 2008 64bit Standard Edition, or Windows Server 2008 32bit or 64bit Enterprise Edition, or possibly even Windows Server 2008 32bit or 64 bit Datacenter Edition. Now last I heard SolidWorks was not yet supporting Windows Server 2008. Any editions for that matter. Is this still true? If not what version of Server 2008 does PDM Server, SolidWorks Network License Manager, and PDM Web Contributor work well with? Our parent compnay would like to convert all the servers to a 64bit OS, so I'm thinking where going to want to put a 64bit OS on this server. We just need to make sure that PDM Server, SolidWorks Network License Manager, and PDM Web Contributor are going to work in a 64bit Server 2008 environment. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry by the way we're using SolidWorks 2009 SP3.0

Outcomes