AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to save an assembly as a part such that the part updates when the assembly is changed?

Question asked by David McCullough on Nov 20, 2020
Latest reply on Nov 20, 2020 by Alin Vargatu

I suppose this question could have two answers. I am using Solidworks 2020 SP0. 

Does anyone know of a way to save an assembly as a part such that the part will update with any changes made to the assembly.

I have tried inserting a new part in the assembly and using the join tool to "copy" the assembly parts to the part file, but it joins everything as a single body even though they do not physically touch.

I have also tried saving the assembly as a part with the "preserve geometry references" but that does not appear to update the part as the assembly is updated.

Long story short, i have a sheet metal body that i am trying to perform an internal flow sim on and it is proving to be a nightmare to get a sealed internal volume. Everything i do i am running into the dreaded "zero thickness error". Perhaps i have bad modeling practices, but the zero thickness error is my single biggest obstacle of all time.

I am not able to upload a model of this project and simplifying it would likely lose details necessary for this to work correctly, so going at this blindly, any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Outcomes