AnsweredAssumed Answered

Global Variables in Weldment Library Profile Cause Errors

Question asked by Daen Hendrickson on Nov 11, 2020

I am using SW2019 SP5.

We recently upgraded from SW2014 to SW2019 and PDM Standard. In the process of upgrading existing files and migrating them to the vault a few generated equation errors.

A little digging showed the cause, but I am unsure if this is a result of upgrading, a change in 2019, or...?

In our weldments profile library, we have a few shapes that represent airframe standardized extrusions. These extrusions have additional information such as center of gravity useful for weight/balance calcs. Because I could, when I created these weldment profiles I created global variables to hold values and then set the sketch dimensions equal to those global variables. The problem is that when the profile is brought into a weldment part, the sketch is copied but the global variables are not brought along for the ride. Without the linked global variables, the part with the weldment profile sketch throws equation errors.

The thing is this never was a problem with 2014. Why? Either that functionality has been removed in 2019. Or 2019 does a better job of resolving links and found the missing global variables whereas 2014 didn't figure that out.

The quick fix is to rework the library files and eliminate the global variables. But before doing that, should global variables in weldment profile library files carry over to part files?

Thanks,

Daen

Outcomes