19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 10:54 AM by Elmar Klammer

Naming a Plane in a 3D Sketch

Hello there.

I have an assembly with a 3D Sketch for a Layout.

I have a series of planes inside of the 3D Sketch.

Can I name these planes? I have tried all of the way you name a normal plane, but they don't seem to work within the 3D Sketch.

Thanks for the help.

Michael
        • Naming a Plane in a 3D Sketch
          Matt Lombard
          No, it doesn't look like you can. Good catch.

By the way, what are you trying to use the plane for?
            Deepak Gupta
            I use them sometimes for ease in creating 3d sketches.
              Dale Dunn
              Planes in 3DSketches can be renamed. Find the plane you want to rename in the list presented in the property manager. Give it a slow double-click there to rename it. Edit: F2 should work also.

It has always been thus.

They can be a huge help when constructing 3DSketches. I use them principally in layout sketches as planes to sketch on and placeholders for where model faces are or will be in an assembly. The only drawback I know of (as of 2007) is that the measure tool does not properly work with them. They do have a behavior that regular planes do not. See below.

Matt, IIRC, your principal complaint against them is that the orientation of the in-plane coordinate system (horizontal and vertical directions) is not constrained by default. Correct?
                Deepak Gupta
                Dale, can you please double check that. I guess you are mixing the normal planes with the 3d sketch plane.
                    Hey, you can name them.

In Layout mode, under the Property Manager, you can rename them.

You can also hide/show planes, hide/show dimensions, and hide/show relations.

Thank you Dale.

Never would have found that.

Michael
                      Dale Dunn

Deepak Gupta wrote:

Dale, can you please double check that. I guess you are mixing the normal planes with the 3d sketch plane.

No need to double-check, I rename both all the time. You have to be editing the sketch, then look in the property manager for the list of planes. Rename them there.
                          Matt Lombard
                          Dale,

I'm gonna need a screen shot. You seem to be seeing something that is not showing in my interface. SW09sp3.

Edit:

Ok, I see it. Geez, what a kludge. What part of the interface does that look like?

With nothing selected, you just switch to Property Mgr tab, then double click a 3D plane from outside the sketch or layout, then double click on the plane name in the list. By the way, in keeping with SolidWorks making interface changes that are not compatible with the current version of software, you can't access that PropMgr page if you use a detached PropMgr, which was my problem.

Ok, for whoever was asking, THIS is a great example of why don't like 3D planes. They don't work like regular planes. It's like they're from a different planet, maybe the Pro/E planet, who knows.

Everybody knows that planes show up as features in the tree. Except 3D sketch planes.

Everybody knows that when you create a plane, you can edit its definition in the same dialog it was created in. That is one of the long-standing benefits of feature-based modeling that SolidWorks has touted from the early days. But again its not true with 3D planes.

Everybody knows that when you place a plane, it stays where you defined it and doesn't move OR ESPECIALLY ROTATE until you do something to move it. Except 3D planes.

Anyway, when I helped write the 2007 Advanced Part training manual for SW training, we had to completely remove the section on 3D planes because we could not create a set of steps that worked for the exercise. Since then they have fixed some things in the software, in particular where a line on a 3D sketch plane could seem fully defined, until you found out that the plane was allowed to ROTATE, rotating the sketch axis along with it. I think now the planes don't rotate any more. Big improvement, but it still to me doesn't make 3D sketch planes usable. It's just an opinion, and you're welcome of course to disagree, but when it comes right down to it, I avoid them, even if it means making multiple sketches.

Another part of the problem is that I don't think the planes are very reliable unless the 3D sketch is fully defined, and fully defining a 3D sketch without overdefining it is like herding cats.

Is it possible to have more than one sketch for a " Layout"?
                                Dale Dunn

Matt Lombard wrote:

By the way, in keeping with SolidWorks making interface changes that are not compatible with the current version of software, you can't access that PropMgr page if you use a detached PropMgr, which was my problem.

Lovely. Something to look forward too when we finally get off of 2007.

Edit:

On sketch planes not being like regular planes:I've been trying to think of them as a sketch entity, and not as planes like the regular planes. To make this consistent with the other sketch entities, they would need to get rid of the property manager you get when you first create the sketch plane. Quite often, I discard the default relations that thing adds, and fully constrain it myself. I suppose it's there to make sketched planes feel familiar to the experienced user, but I think it just confuses things on that front. But it also gives you an initial placement for the plane entity, since there's no way to sketch that with a mouse.

Even with the confusion and problems, I'm glad they're there. Even/especially with the rotation. I take advantage of that.
                                    Tim Koritz

Dale Dunn wrote:

On sketch planes not being like regular planes:I've been trying to think of them as a sketch entity, and not as planes like the regular planes.

I like that approach. Since I figured out the way 3D sketch planes actually work and behave, I have never tried to use them like a regular plane.

As far as rotation of the planes go - I usually try to have my second and third relations be either perpendicular or parallel to a standard plane. That seems to keep them from rotating.

• Re: Naming a Plane in a 3D Sketch
                                  Elmar Klammer

Hello Everyone,

Just a tid-bid of information. Yes you can rename the planes but all constraints to 3D sketch planes will show the original name in the constrain dialog box only. Say you make a 3d plane and its default name is "Plane 1". Rename it to say "Reference". Now sketch a line and constrain one point to the 3D plane say you use "on plane" constrain. Now have a look, it will say that the on plane constrain references to "Plane " not "Reference".

In a nutshell, the renaming is not worth much.

Cheers,

Elmar

Deepak Gupta
                                In my property manager I can't see them. Not sure what I'm missing. Can someone post a screen shot.

TIA
                                  Mahir Abrahim
                                  Herding cats. Sounds like the next youtube video craze.
                                    Deepak Gupta
                                    Thanks Dale and Matt,

I figured it now.