14 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 9:14 AM by Chris Michalski

FloWorks doesn't update to new geometry

Chris Michalski
      anybody ever had issues with FloWorks solving for previous geometry?

I change some dimensions and tell it to resolve the mesh - show the mesh with the part in wireframe and it's obvious it is solving the geometry before the last change. I've saved the part, closed the part, closed SW, rebooted, all to no help.

I've altered the mesh settings to actually make it think. I've made more drastic dimensional changes to make it think. The only thing that seems to solve this is to make an entirely new assembly and recreate the simulation. I can get about 6-7 iterations before it begins ignoring geometry changes.

I can see that the .FBD and .STDOUT files aren't being updated anymore by the old time stamp. (about the time the problems start)

anybody seen this and know how to work around it? recreating the assembly and inputting the simulation parameters is getting old
        • FloWorks doesn't update to new geometry
          Anthony Botting
          There is a "rebuild" function on the right-mouse-menu of the top level item in the flow simulation tree. Have you tried that?
              Chris Michalski
              yeah, I've manually rebuilt and I leave automatic rebuild on

if I clone the project it carries over the old .FBD file too - creating a new project is the simplest way I've found to drop that old .FBD file for a new one - it's the only thing created when you make a new project, everything else comes after that so whatever is getting messed up is in the most basic part of the project it seems

this is a relatively simple model so it's not too bad to keep making new projects every so often, but it's the fact that you have to inspect the mesh everytime to verify that it's solving what it's supposed to - makes me worried about setting up a batch run in that file because it could solve a batch of all the same geometry

Anthony Botting
              Hi Chris: It should not behave that way. Perhaps just pressing the "Reset" button on the Computational Domain dialog will help...but still, it should not do that. Please let your VAR know. You pay for that - the VAR is required to get it fixed or get a workaround for you. I notice you made reference to "FloWorks", which implies that it is version 2008 (or earlier). The latest version (2009) has been re-labeled as "Flow Simulation". I am only suggesting it may be a bug in 08 that was fixed in 09. Tony
                Chris Michalski
                I'm still on 2007 - I never stopped hearing the moans and complaints about 2008 or 2009 so I've stayed in the dark ages (by dark I mean, less crash prone)

It has only happened in the past several weeks on this one type of model - I upgraded from SWPro to SWPremium about a month ago so maybe it has something to do with that somehow??

thanks for suggesting the VAR, I always look other places first but really this is something they should push up the chain to rectify
                  Chris Michalski
                  Well, I'm not crazy - the VAR pushed it up to SW and they're scratching their heads too now - so far the only answer is keep making new models or try running them all in 2009 to see if it still looses track of it (translation: we've got no clue)
                    Chris Michalski
                    That's what I do - I've got one set of geometry, clone the project, make a new config of the part that has dimensions revised based on the previous results, update that cloned project to use the new part configs and after doing that with 5 or 6 adjustments of geometry it quits looking at the parts for geometric changes and always uses the same geometry so I have to make a new assembly and recreate everything

I've got 4 (nearly identical) assemblies in order to get 22 simulations with these parts because I have to make a new assembly every half dozen geometric changes - even copying the assembly to a new name carries over the countdown to error (plus I need to know that I can setup a batch run of a dozen conditions and know they are all going to be accurate) - I've even tried adjusting the mesh settings and it creates a different mesh but still based on outdated geometry
                      Chris Michalski
                      It's possible it's some bizarre quirk in 2007

but I can't stand the lag between mouse click and return to action in 2009, everything seems to take forever, so I still run 2007 normally - only recently have I seen the benefits of 2009 in solving with multiple processors so I'm strongly considering migrating that direction (or at least running the simulations in 2009 even if I do all the rest of the modeling in 2007)

The VAR has been excellent on trying to get this resolved - first helping with the uninstall/registry wipe/reinstall and when that didn't solve it going straight to his SW contact and taking all 22 simulation sets to look for where the train left the tracks
                          Bill McEachern
                          In 2009:
                          - if the selection sets get big stuff slows down - thoughit is way better than 2007 in some respects where it really slows down with large selections. Once it get slow move to multiple sets with less in them. It runs out of gas at abou 90 items in a set. And, if you have a lot fo these just switching a configuration can take quite awhile.
                          - sometimes it just get really slow, response wise - not sure why. Haven't spent a lot of time sorting it out.
                          - There are some nice usability enhancements though - particularily the explode of selections for making the same goal on multiple selection to get individual goals on each. You have to have 2 selected items though before it appears.
                          -multi-core performance is better in SP3 I have noticed over SP0.
                        • Re: FloWorks doesn't update to new geometry
                          Joe Galliera
                          If you are worried about crashing in newer versions of SolidWorks for design work and production models, I would still suggest having another computer setup off the network with the latest Simulation software so that you can take advantage of very valuable updates in the new releases.
                            Dan Burdett

I realise this is almost 3 years late now - but I work with Solidworks 2011 and have had the same problem on two different occasions. I ran a simulation of an aerofoil a couple of months back, changed the position of the wing, tried to remesh and it would just create the mesh around where the old part used to be. Likewise now i'm running simulations on a train, I've updated the complexity of the mesh and I have the same echo of the old mesh, even when cloning or recreating new projects from scratch.

Chris Michalski

Dan -

in working with my VAR at the time it was a fluke limitation of SW itself.  Somehow there was a limit to the # of simulations run in the same folder or based on the same assembly.  I ended up copying the entire folder to a new folder (including 1 of the simulation folders).  Then when you clone the project it would reset this internal counter and give you another ## simulations before it got stuck again.

Kaarvannan Thiruvalluvan

I had the same problem with flow simulation (internal flow). I was able to get around it using this technique. I would disable the flow simulation Add-in. And create the fluid body using FloXpress analysis wizard. This would recognize the changes that I had made. Then When I go back to flow simulation again and add fluid region, the new changes are taken into account.