4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 8:56 PM by Don Barger

Views disappear in a drawing

Douglas Matlock
      My IT department finally agreed to update us from 2008 to 2009 sp3.0 a few days ago. Since then, a number of us have experienced a problem. When opening a drawing, or sometimes when toggling from a part to an already open drawing, all of the views disappear. The dimension still show, but the lines of the model are not visible. No amount of redrawing fixes this. If we close the document and re-open it, the views are still missing. The only way I have found to fix this is to hide each view, then to show the view. I thought it might be part of the lightweight drawing issue, but resolving the drawing does not make the views come back.

Any ideas? Anybody else experiencing the same thing? It has happened on 2 different computers, to 2 different users working on totally unrelated projects.
        • Views disappear in a drawing
          Josh Brady
          This does seem to happen more with drawings created in 08 then opened in 09. The following macro will hide, then show all views on the active drawing sheet.

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
          Dim swDwg As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
          Dim vViews As Variant
          Dim vView As Variant
          Dim myView As SldWorks.View
          Dim sLinkedBom As String
          Dim Msg As String

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
          If swApp.ActiveDoc.GetType <> swDocDRAWING Then
          MsgBox "Active document is not a drawing."
          Exit Sub
          End If
          Set swDwg = swApp.ActiveDoc
          Msg = "Forced update for views on " & swDwg.GetCurrentSheet.GetName & vbCrLf
          vViews = swDwg.GetCurrentSheet.GetViews
          For Each vView In vViews
          Set myView = vView
          If Not (Left(myView.GetName2, 1) = "*") Then
          myView.SetVisible False, False
          swDwg.EditRebuild3
          myView.SetVisible True, False
          End If
          Next vView
          MsgBox Msg
          End Sub
            Troy Peterson
            Are both computers using the same graphics card?

Do you have the latest recommended drivers from SW?
                Douglas Matlock
                Josh, Thanks for the macro!

Troy, both computers have nVidia cards, but different models. I have the current driver, we are working on geting the current for him.
                    Don Barger

Today I had a drawing that had the same problem- empty view with only dimensions showing. The hide/show trick didn't work to get the assembly to re-appear. I traced the problem back to a part that I retrieved from a display vendor's web site (Advantech). If I suppressed that part in the assembly, the view would re-appear. I replaced the part with a SolidWorks model, rather than the converted Step file, and the view problem went away.

Interesting side note- If I change the view display to Shaded rather than Hidden Line, the view will re-appear with the old part.

Don
                    SolidWorks 2008 and holding...