AnsweredAssumed Answered

Motion Study fall thru

Question asked by Matt Juric on Sep 18, 2020
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 by Matt Juric

Certainly this has been covered here and elsewhere but I can't seem to find much on it.

I found one article that specifically states that lowering the "Maximum Integrator Step Size" is what prevents fall thru. I've tried that and lowered it to one factor above the smallest and while it takes forever to calculate...still I have parts going thru everything.

I'm just looking for some general insight as to what to consider and look at when this occurs...which seems to be just about every motion study I do that involves gravity and moving parts.

Things I've tried. 

1) I've used precise contact.

2) I've lowered all the values available to the the lowest or near lowest possible steps, highest accuracy etc etc.

3) I've remodeled parts to make them thicker

4) I've lowered the value for gravity to hopefully slow impacts.

While some of this seem to have an effect nothing seems to complete stop fall thru. This is a problem on multiple assemblies with multiple different geometries so I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong.

I've attached a rough assembly as an idea if interested. I fairly regularly do this type of thing when quoting a project to attempt to test the validity of various rough ideas. Many times a motion study will point something out that gives you the "Yeah, I didn't think that would work" or point you in a direction of possible problems etc that you may not have foreseen etc. Not really attempting to get to be real world....although something more real then having solid parts magically pass thru other solid parts.

Thank you,

Attachments

Outcomes