12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 6:49 PM by Karl Wooster

Rotated Standard View + Ordinates = confusion

Aaron Larson
      I've seen some posts on what appear to be the problem I see but no real answers. I'm creating a drawing of an assembly in which I've placed a standard view. Prior to dimensioning I wanted to rotate that view 90 degrees. I then tried to use a vertical ordinate dimension. It created a horizontal ordinate dimension.

Basically it used the original orientation of the standard view to guide what a "horizontal" or "vertical" ordinate dimension is. Is this the intended behavior on a rotated standard view? I know that I can create another model view as I would like the part dimensioned and that would solve this issue. I was just looking to see if this behavior is intended.
        • Rotated Standard View + Ordinates = confusion
          Eddie Cyganik
          Aaron,

I have always preached and will continue to preach; "Current", "Relative" and "Rotated" Views are shall not be used.

As far as your particular problem goes, I would say it is intended behavior because SW does keep track of the rotation.

You already know this but for all others; Whenever a particular orientation of a model is required, open the model, oreint as needed, then save the model view for use on a drawing.
            Dale Dunn
            The workaround is to attach your zero ordinate to an edge or sketched line with the correct orientation. Results will be correct and durable as long as the view is not rotated again, and the object you selected doesn't go dangling.

I agree with Eddie that current and relative views are dangerous (a model change that changes the view orientation will result in an incorrect or destroyed view), but I've had stable results with rotated views. Stable after dealing with the weirdness, that is.
              David Edwards
              The problem is in how you rotated the drawing view. There are 2 ways to rotate it.

1. You can select the view and in the left panel there are options to rotate the view. I'm assuming that this is what you did because I had the same issue for awhile.

2. You can select the view and in the view toolbar (the little menu in the center that is under the actual toolbars) there is a command called "Rotate" (It's the very center command with 2 arrows pointing clockwise). Click it and now tell it how much to rotate. Vert and Horz ordinates will behave and all will be happy. I don't know why the 2 commands behave differently but it is something that I came across a few months ago.

I have only noticed this when inserting sheetmetal flat patterns because you normally aren't given the options in the property panel on the left to rotate a view.
                  Jay Andrews
                  Well...

The case I am talking about, 1, I didn't rotate, I reoriented not normal to the view in question, if you know what I mean.

Also, I verified after that true dimensioning was off, so it shouldn't have mattered if the edges that I dimensioned were in a different model plane, because without a bug it should have been all projected to the paper so to speak.
                    Aaron Larson

David Edwards wrote:

The problem is in how you rotated the drawing view. There are 2 ways to rotate it.

1. You can select the view and in the left panel there are options to rotate the view. I'm assuming that this is what you did because I had the same issue for awhile.

2. You can select the view and in the view toolbar (the little menu in the center that is under the actual toolbars) there is a command called "Rotate" (It's the very center command with 2 arrows pointing clockwise). Click it and now tell it how much to rotate. Vert and Horz ordinates will behave and all will be happy. I don't know why the 2 commands behave differently but it is something that I came across a few months ago.

I have only noticed this when inserting sheetmetal flat patterns because you normally aren't given the options in the property panel on the left to rotate a view.

Actually I did as you outline in option 2 - I have never rotated a view in the panel. That's why I was surprised to see the result I got. I still agree with Eddie - for the little bit of extra work it takes to create the named view in the model the behavioral stability benefits far outweight the work.

Regarding relative views for weldment parts - I don't know what good workaround would be. Don't use weldments? All I know is that in the few weldments I've designed relative views have given me problems.
                      Jon Vacura

David Edwards wrote:

I have only noticed this when inserting sheetmetal flat patterns because you normally aren't given the options in the property panel on the left to rotate a
                      view.

Your second method is the one I always use to rotate my flat views. Again, sometimes the ordinate dimensions work fine, sometimes they do not.
                      JV
                      Jon Vacura
                      I run into this problem a lot when inserting sheetmetal flat patterns into my drawings. 90% of the time the flat pattern will not be orientated correctly with the standard views. I end up rotating the flat and then adding my ordinate dimensions. The bad thing is sometimes the ordinate dimension works as it should, other times it doesn't.
                      Jon