6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 2:02 PM by Gene Mercer

ECR Process...

Ian MacPherson
      Hi All,

I am in the midst of setting up an Engineering Change procedure. We also have Enterprise PDM in the pipeline and should be starting implementation within a couple of months.

I have been unable to get a great deal of information on the EC process that PDME uses and have some basic questions, (I am also talking to our VAR but would like opinions from the user base also)

1) Should I be setting up my EC process to work around PDME? Or can it adapt to any process?

2) Does it support multiple EC documents such as ECR, ECN, Drawing Release etc. and can they be tied together in the workflow?

If someone could send me some pictures of their EC workflows in PDME I think it would help me out a lot.

Thanks,
      Ian.
        • ECR Process...
          Jeff Sweeney
          1) Enterprise can do a lot of processes but I have seen some where it came close but didn't exactly match the current system. There might be some give and take between your existing system and what Enterprise can do. The best answer I can give you without knowing what you want to do is "it depends"

2) You can have many different workflows for many different document types.

There is a nice simple workflow that is created by default during installation.
          • ECR Process...
            Ben Kalinowski
            We are a company that uses many automation tools, written in house, and our mantra has been, "Don't let the tools drive your process.". It has worked well for use with Enterprise, also. So my thought would be to make the process correct for your company, and then, when Enterprise comes online, adapt Enterprise to your EC procedure.

Enterprise is quite flexible and can likely handle what you will create. Otherwise your VAR or another source could write an API to satisfy your needs.

Good luck.
            • ECR Process...
              Jeff Sweeney
              >>"Don't let tools drive your process"

What if the tool you have can give you a better process? I know companies who came from the ACAD world that don't take advantage of the new, profitable things they could be doing because their processes are set in stone. Some of these processes were developed when guys were on the drafting board!

IMHO, you need to evaluate your existing EC process and the new options that Enterpise may provide. Keep what you like from both worlds.
                • ECR Process...
                  Ian MacPherson
                  Thanks for the input guys,

Is there anyone willing to provide a screenshot of their existing EC process in PDMe? I think that may help me a bit in determining what PDMe can do, all I am getting from the VAR is it can be tailored to do anything but I am sure that is a gross over generalization!
                    • ECR Process...
                      Corey Hinman
                      Your best bet is to become intimately familiar with workflows. If you search back through this forum you can find plenty of ECN / workflow topics.
                        • ECR Process...
                          Gene Mercer
                          Corey and Jeff both have contributed a lot to the ECN/ECR workflow topic and are both correct.. LOL
                          Honestly, it's totally a 'it depends' answer. We are an ISO company and so have established proceedures in place. We also have had EPDM since early 2008 and still do not have ECR/ECN's in place in EPDM. But we have already altered our ISO processes due to EPDM and will probably continue as more workflows are put in place for the various areas/departments. I've started diagramming out the EC Request and Change workflows (very advanced over what's in place now), but haven't had the time to seriously start on them. Currently, one holdup is notifications but it's not a big one.. honestly we just haven't made it a priority.

I think once everything's said and done (is it ever?) you'll find a nice mix of both taking place, EPDM does have it's limitations but it's pretty flexible as well.

Gene Mercer