7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2007 5:42 PM by 1-6RGDU6

Diamond shaped Knurl

There isn't much question that the crispness of your cut part far exceeds that of the cosmetic one. The final one will be even more crisp in the sense that the lines will be cut deeper, allowing the center line created by it's two offset cuts to be raised to a point.
      Did you use an annular cut, or a helical cut? Not knowing surfaces yet, I will asume that it can be done using both methods? Because I do have some experience modeling springs and cutting threads in bolts, I am again assuming that I can do something of the same order here, using a cut sweep? The pistol grip that I will be making, however, is a different animal, with a less radical radius. Of course it is limited to being knurled with an annular cut. The cyllinder, being the only geometry that I can think of that can support both helicoil and annular methods. I am thinking that a single line drawn across the pistol grip surface, with a plane normal to the end of the line at the edge of my part, with a triangle shaped cutting edge, can be cut-swept across the surface, then arrayed across to the extremeties of the grip, 70 degrees diagonal to one another?This is where I need the help
      Doctor, I want to sincerely thank you for the time that you have spent at my behest, and please know that the knowledge that you share with us of less skills, is appreciated more than you know.
      gdea
        • Diamond shaped Knurl
          I did an trial with a cut knurl and a cosmetic knurl and then zoomed out a bit. Hard to tell the difference. The cut knurl was over 4 meg and really slow. How close are you going to be zoomed on this feature in comparison to the rest of the part or assembly?
          • Diamond shaped Knurl
            Thank you very much for your effort, Dale. It is sincerely appreciated.
            gdea
            • Diamond shaped Knurl
              Hmmm. That mathod requires more setup than I have time for. Basically, if you set up a swept surface for one of the flanks of one of the diamonds, mirror that twice, trim and knit, you'll have one diamond. Pattern that diamond body as required and knit those to get a knurled surface. Cut with that surface and you should theoretically get knurl that rebuilds faster than the solid sweept cuts.

It might rebuild faster if you approximate each diamond with a loft to a point, but I'm not sure.
              • Diamond shaped Knurl
                Ok, I tried it, and it's sort of fussy. Here's an example (working in 05 today...). I have an idea for another method. I'll post it if it works.

Feature Statistics:

KNURL 07-07-06 10:33:39 AM

Features 14, Solids 1, Surfaces 0
                Total rebuild time in seconds: 45.94

Time % Time(s) Feature Order

77.55 35.63 Combine1
                17.65 8.11 CirPattern3
                3.91 1.80 LPattern4
                0.61 0.28 Mirror2
                0.24 0.11 Cut-Sweep1
                0.03 0.02 Sketch1
                0.00 0.00 F
                0.00 0.00 Sketch2
                0.00 0.00 Helix/Spiral1
                0.00 0.00 Plane1
                0.00 0.00 Sketch3
                • Diamond shaped Knurl
                  I don't know what your dome shape is but the knurl on a cylinder is fairly straightforward. Essentially a knurl is a series of intersecting helical cuts. So, sweep a cut a long a helix, then another along an apoosite helix. Make a circular pattern of these two helices to complete teh knurl.

This will take a very long time to rebuild. To save some time, try making just one diamond of knurl, and pattern that with a geometry pattern. I haven't actually done this myself, but it should work.
                  • Diamond shaped Knurl
                    I need to learn to model diamong shaped knurl on curved surfaces, both on a shallow dome shape, and also on a round cylinder. If anyone knows of any tutorials be they Video or PPS, I would certainly appreciate the directional lead.