AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can dual dimension units be customized?

Question asked by David Queener on Jul 14, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 14, 2020 by Zhen Wei Tee

Is it possible to customize dual dimensions in a SolidWorks drawing so that the dual dimension becomes a scaled dimension? Here's the situation:

I make 1/20th scale model trains, and whereas I initially draw all parts in prototype units (inches and feet) from actual railroad blueprints, I would like to show both prototype units and the scaled units of my model, in the same SolidWorks drawing. I would prefer not to have to create two different sets of models, one reflecting prototype units, the other, using the scale function, the units of the 1/20th scale model, and hence, two separate sets of SolidWorks drawings as well.

I am able to create dual, scaled dimensions in AutoCAD, for instance, simply by adding a scaling factor to a secondary dimension, and output one drawing, but is there anyway to do the same using dual dimensions in SolidWorks?

So far the best I have been able to come up with is to use the Override Value function on a primary dimension in the dimension dialogue box, but this requires manual data entry for every dimension. Surely SolidWorks can accomplish what AutoCAD can with just a few key strokes?

Thanks,

Dave Queener
Knoxville, Tennessee
Dave@CumberlandModelEngineering.com

Outcomes