2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 2:28 PM by Gary Garrison

Deflection of Aluminium Profile

Dave Solly
      Hi People...

I'm very new to the world of simulation within solidworks, about the limit of my experiences is basic comosxpress simulation on individual parts.

Basically what I need to do is to work out the deflection of a thermally broken length of aluminium extrusion. (for those that don't know windows, 2 separate aluminium extrusion profiles joined by a glass filled polyamide extrusion (see attached image))

is there a way that I can easily anchor the ends of the profile and apply a force to the centre to measure the deflection of the beam.
      when opening simulation it tells me that I need to complete a motion study first.
      but to be honest.... I'm not sure where to start as motion study doesn't (that I can see atleast) allow me to do this in a matter that would simulate applying a load to the profile and anchor the ends.

Any help you can offer or if you could point me in the direction of a good tutorial

Many thanks
      Dave
        • Deflection of Aluminium Profile
          Christopher Mueller
          Do you have Solidworks Premium? I have professional and am not able to analyze forces on assemblies (because I need something called Motion Analysis in order to apply a force to an assembly). The Basic Motion will only let you simulate motors, springs, collisions and gravity. If you don't have Premium than you are SOL.

Can you analyze each part in the beam and compute it's contribution to the deflection? You will find it easy to analyze a single part compared to several. You may need to create a small extrude if you are not applying a pressure to an entire surface. The small extrude helps if you want to apply a load directly at the middle of the profile.

I also work with aluminum extrusions. You get these wicked displacement images when working with long, skinny parts. I wish they would fix that.
            • Deflection of Aluminium Profile
              Gary Garrison

Christopher Mueller wrote:

I also work with aluminum extrusions. You get these wicked displacement images when working with long, skinny parts. I wish they would fix that.

Have you checked the scale on the results? With my displacement results you can "Edit Definition" and set the scale desired for the results. Depending on what I am modeling, I have had deflection scales of 10x all the way up to 600x. There are options for "Auto", "True Scale", and "User Defined".