10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 9:42 AM by Rui Santos

PDME server specs

We're looking into moving from workgroup 2007 to PDME 2009 and Im trying to get my head around the server roles in the enetrprise version.

Current setup:
      13SW users & about 10 web users.
      Workgroup vault is around 300Gb and is running on a IBM server (Xeon 2.5QC, 4GB RAM, 2x 68GB RAID1 & 3x 300GB RAID5)

Now for PDME i will need:
      1x DB server
      1x archive & web server.

Now due to the usual story of limited funds... can I install all these roles on our current server (rebuilt of course) or will performance be degraded noticibly?
      Id really like to hear what setups other companies have to compare performance.

Also can someone explain the difference between the db and archive server?
      From what I can tell the archive server holds all our files(drawings) and the database server stores the indexes for the files?
        • PDME server specs
          Todd Puckett
          Here are some threads that might be helpful.

One server or many
          2009 and SQLServer
          SQL Server RAM

We have about 40 users, a few web clients, and 4 locations. Our vault is about 500Gb.

We did fine running the Database server and Archive server on an IBM x3550 (Xeon 2.3QC, 8GB RAM) for many years. Recently were able to get a new server (Dell, 4 Xeon 2.5QC, 32GB RAM, 3TB RAID5) for running VMware. I set up a 2003 x64 server for the database server and 2003 x32 for the archive server and web server. It is a little faster but I think the biggest advantage is the database server (SQL Server) does not bog down as bad.

Things to consider:
          SQL Server is a memory hog and runs better on a 64bit OS
          Web Server last I heard will not run on a 64bit OS.

• PDME server specs
            Rui Santos
            Hello,

Did anyone considered installing the archive server in a Linux machine?
            Why not? There are some info on the web stating file access and delivery to be much better in linux-systems...

Waiting for your 2-cents...
            • PDME server specs
              Linux is not supported OS for archive server
                • PDME server specs
                  Rui Santos

Wayne Matus wrote:

Linux is not supported OS for archive server

So we where told by our VAR. But for smaller companies, the price of going with two WIN 2003 servers is very heavy. They took some statistics from our current Workgroups PDM and suggested two servers.
                    • PDME server specs
                      Todd Puckett
                      My 2 cents

1 - I don't think a "small" company would realize much benefit from using the 2 server setup. See Installation guide 1-3 Medium Office Network. Our office of 50+ engineers used a single server setup for the first 6 years.

2 - Windows Server is recommended for the Archive Server, but we have many archive servers setup on XP desktop computers and they work very well, the archive server recommended requirements (memory and CPU) are not very high but adequate disk space is very important.

• PDME server specs
                          Rui Santos

Todd Puckett wrote:

My 2 cents

1 - I don't think a "small" company would realize much benefit from using the 2 server setup. See Installation guide 1-3 Medium Office Network. Our office of 50+ engineers used a single server setup for the first 6 years.

I will take a look into the the documentation you suggested.

2 - Windows Server is recommended for the Archive Server, but we have many archive servers setup on XP desktop computers and they work very well, the archive server recommended requirements (memory and CPU) are not very high but adequate disk space is very important.

How you've managed to install many archive servers?

Thanks for your help.
                    • PDME server specs
                      Rui Santos
                      How about using NAS storage? The archive and SQL servers can be the same, but the archive's phisical disk is a NAS storage system.
                      • PDME server specs
                        Rui Santos
                        Thnaks!