AnsweredAssumed Answered

Volumetric Heat Generation

Question asked by Peter Hartvigsen on Jun 24, 2020
Latest reply on Jul 9, 2020 by Benjamin Modic

I’ve run into an issue in modeling the scenario in the figure. I need to have volumetric heat generation inside the encapsulated domain. The generation is a function of temperature and varies spatially. In the Thermal Loads, there is no volumetric generation option. In Heat Power, the Temperature Curve can be used to define a power as a function of temperature, but this does not fit my needs: Using Heat Power (correct me if I’m wrong) uses the spatial average of the temperature of the domain as the reference temperature and then applies a uniformly distributed power over the selected region. This does not accurately represent the physics involved.

How do I model volumetric generation as a function of temperature and location? The volume is changing during an optimization process, so calculating the Heat Power from the generation and volume is undesirable. One idea that I had is to use the Split option and use a grid sketch to discretize the generating domain, but this is a lot of work to do by hand.

Thanks for any feedback/ideas. 

Outcomes