7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 1:15 PM by Jason Capriotti

Comparing Files

Jason Capriotti
      Is there a way to use "Utilities" to compare two revisions of a file? You can only open one version at a time....unless we copy it outside the vault and rename.

Our VAR has mentioned a way to compare Office documents using a free 3rd party tool but I'm under the impression that you can't compare SolidWorks files the same way.
        • Comparing Files
          Steve Ostrovsky
          Could not launch the Compare tool, hit browse on the Drawing 1 side and go find the latest version of a drawing. Then in the Drawing 2 side, hit browse and just use your RMB Get Version in the Open dialog to get the other revision. Just tried it and it opened the different drawing revs fine. They were the same (demo drawing), so I couldn't tell any changes, but it didn't choke on itself. I'll make some changes to the drawing and retry.
          • Comparing Files
            Steve Ostrovsky
            Never mind, I don't think it will work because it wants to copy the older rev down to my cache and that ends up over writing the latest rev. In this case I think copying out one of the revs will be the way to go.
              • Comparing Files
                Jason Capriotti
                STill waiting to hear back from our VAR but the example they sent involved installing a 3rd part comparison tool (They recommend DiffDoc) then linking it to the compare function in Enterprise. Selecting Compare copied both versions and renamed them, then opened them in the DiffDoc program.

Pretty nice but I was wondering if it handled SolidWorks. We would like for it to simply copy them down and then use the "Utilities" add-in to compare models.
                  • Re: Comparing Files
                    Megan Fannon

Jason (or anyone),

Are you using Diff Doc?  I just downloaded it to try and attempted to link it to EPDM, but I don't think I'm doing it right.  I went to my user name in the admin tool and added the information there, following the instructions in the Admin Guide and what I could find in the Diff Doc FAQ, but when I try to compare two versions of a pdf in the history window, it's as if EPDM has no clue that there's any mapping there.

Thanks

Megan

• Re: Comparing Files
                        Jason Capriotti
                        We haven't implemented Enterprise yet but we plan to put PDF files of our drawings as separate files for each revision. We can then open multiple revisions side by side in Bluebeam to compare. Bluebeam has a PDF compare tool however it only works well if the documents are near identical. Scanned drawings don't work so well.
                  • Comparing Files
                    Joy Garon
                    Jason -

In 2009 the ability to compare versions was added to SolidWorks Utilities.
                    Log in to the vault (in Windows Explorer) and select Help > SolidWorks Enterprise PDM What's New. Browse to What's New for Users, SolidWorks Add-In, Compare Documents...

Regards,
                    Joy