14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2009 5:59 PM by wenyang wang

Detailed view disappeared

i have a detailed view of an exploded assembly. the detail, i can grab the view box and my balloons are attached, but the picture is gone. the assembly is correct. i tried to resave the assembly (i've found that usually works). we just switched for 2008 to 2009 and i have a feeling that's the issue. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
        • Detailed view disappeared
          Ryan Hevner
          There have been many issues with drawing mode not liking assemblies loaded lightweight. Make sure your assembly is loaded resolved and then rebuild.
            Steve Ostrovsky
            I've lately seen a few drawings where the detail sketch circle has gone missing. If you RMB in the detail circle itself and select Edit Sketch, you should see a sketch circle that delineates the detail itself. If it's not there, draw one in and see if that helps.

Otherwise, follow Ryan's advice. I'm sure you know what the last desperate resort would be ...
              thanks for the reply. i have tried the rebuild my assembly under resolved to no avail.
                Steve Ostrovsky
                RMB stands for Right Mouse Button or right mouse click. Right click on the actual detail circle and select Edit Sketch. Is there a sketch circle in there?
                  Eddie Cyganik

Kelly,

Over the year and versions, there have been all kinds of problems with detail views, especially when related to exploded views. You probably could have found your answer by now by performing some searches using some key words.

=> Try unexploding the view.
                  => Edit the sketch for the Detail views.
                  ==> Attach the sketch center to geometry that will remain in the Detail View. Do this via geometric relation, center to vertices or center to midpoint, whatever.
                  => Re-Explode View.
                    Chris Challinor
                    I have this issue, solved it by showing hidden lines in the detail (s) effected.

OH NO, NOT ANOTHER BUG!!!!
                      Steve Ostrovsky
                      I hate when that happens. I haven't quite understood how the sketch circle manages to find itself in another universe. Glad you got it fixed and learned something at the same time.
                        Chris Challinor
                        Been so long since I forgot to make the view active I forgot that issue. Seems to me that if you draw a section or detail circle on a drawing and noting shows up SW would figure out that its wrong. (Think about a feature in a part file, you cut or extrude and the feature misses the part, SW will tell you.....)
                          Ed Burris
                          We've got a whole litany of procedures we use when the drawing interface decides to go flighty. 1) Ctrl+Q to force a rebuild. 2) grab the bounding box around the view and move it a little bit. 3) edit the sketch (don't DO anythingj, just edit) then finish the edit. 4) edit the sketch and "fiddle" with the geometry, e.g. move an endpoint of a line, make the circle bigger, etc. 5) edit the sketch and delete the geometry and re-make it. BE SURE YOU SELECT IT before you finish edit. 6) As with ANY WindBlows-based software, shut down and restart!!!. Usually, tho not always, one of these tricks will solve the problem. If not, take a deep breath and try 'em all again. Most of the issues we have come with drawings of very large assemblies. and almost all of them have been a constant source of grief since the project started in '06 (SW2007). We've pretty much accepted that there ain't gonna be no fix, at least not soon... It's just really frustrating especially since SolidWorks, more than any other software... REALLY KNOWS WHEN YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!!
                            wenyang wang
                            another way. delete the detailed view, and undo. it should work.