Mark Tingley

PDMWorks Workgroup Vault Address and Ports

Discussion created by Mark Tingley on May 15, 2009
Latest reply on May 15, 2009 by Troy Peterson
We just installed the vault on a workgroup server, and clients are unable to connect to the vault getting the typical "Could not login to SolidWorks Workgroup PDM. Please check that the vault computer name is correct and that the SolidWorks Workgroup PDM Server is running on that computer."

Now, the most obvious question is: Where does SolidWorks PDM Client look to get the server address for the server? I never specified one. I didn't put in an IP or a computer name or anything, so where is it going to look?

Is it buried in the Options somewhere? I didn't see it in the Windows Registry either. I've seen references of "try to ping the server" well I can ping the server fine. It also says to try using the numerical IP instead of the computer name...but WHERE do I put it? Where is the client configured for PDM server address?

Does it use a setting in SolidWorks Explorer? The only thing I've seen is under Folders in SolidWorks Explorer...so is there where the client gleans the server address?

As far as firewall settings I've tried it on two different computers, one that doesn't have a firewall running. The server IS firewalled, so do I also need to open ports? But this is a secondary question, as I am still determined to understand how in the heck the client knows where my PDM server is running...

Thanks and sorry for sounding so frustrated but this has indeed been frustrating trying to figure this out for the past hour. The best is help files or other documentation that tells you to either check the address or change the address but doesn't tell you where to put it in...fantastic. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

-- Irritated IT admin posting under someone else's SW forums acct

Outcomes