AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I auto-number sketch lines or reference planes?

Question asked by Justinas Rubinovas on Jun 2, 2020
Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 by Heiko Sohnholz

I have a project where I need to create a pattern of lines (or even better - planes) that I could use for reference to create other sketches and features, sort of like a grid. Imagine if the model was like a loaf of bread, and these lines represent the slice locations. There will be 114 of these lines, so I need them numbered somehow so I can easily locate the required slice. Here is a graphic representation of what I need:

This numbering should be visible when outside sketch editing mode, and also available in drawings. As I said, it would be even better if these were not sketch lines, but reference planes. Planes do have numbering, but it is not parametric and difficult to edit in bulk. And I don't think the plane numbering can be shown in drawings. Also planes are easy to create in a pattern, but they are not parametric afterwards. So best I'm hoping for are sketch lines.

Of course this can be achieved with a macro, but I would like to avoid that, because this "grid" will often need editing without breaking references to these lines.

What is the best way to create such a numbered reference system?

Outcomes