10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 4:18 PM by Mike Sveda

Automatic PDF Creation

Antonio Lucero
      Hi,

I was wondering if EPDM has an automatic PDF creation like PDM Workgroup does or is there anybody who has written a code for this and is willing to share?

Thanks,

Antonio
        • Automatic PDF Creation
          Mike Sveda
          We use a dispatch routine to create pdf. It loads the file in solidworks and then exports to the vault appending a rev letter.

I am not the code author but if you know someone who can program with VB and Dispatch it can be done.
          • Automatic PDF Creation
            Gurpreet Singh
            Hi Antonio

plz refer S-014002 for your automatic pdf generation problem
            • Automatic PDF Creation
              Antonio Lucero
              What is S-014002? I assume your are referring to a bug that has been posted but I can not seem to find that number. By the Way I am using PDM Enterprise 2008 still
                • Automatic PDF Creation
                  Eric Martin
                  I have helped our VAR code this for my company. Unfortunately I can only share with you the parts of the addin that I created since they have put a copyright on thier part of the code. Or you can contact them directly since they are now going to sell the program I believe. It has been re-written in .NET and the coder has alot of time invested. I will tell you it would be worth the purchase if they are indeed selling it.
                  Ours will create a PDF of just about any file type as the file is moved through a workflow. It Creates a directory in a network directory that is named after the filename. It then creates the pdf giving it the name of the file with the ext of the filetype as part of the filename. (2007 PDM Enterprise)

So if I had 2 files named draw1.slddrw and draw1.xls The end result would be

z:\shared\pdfs\draw1\draw1slddrw.pdf and draw1xls.pdf

In the new code this is accomplished through a client/server tcp connection. The data is sent to the server from the client. The server then puts it into a print que of a PDF print driver. From there the pdf is created and then moved to the above mentioned process.

Mail Me if you want to know the Vendor

If you are looking to do just Solidworks files email me.
                  • Automatic PDF Creation
                    Eric Martin
                    I have helped our VAR code this for my company. Unfortunately I can only share with you the parts of the addin that I created since they have put a copyright on thier part of the code. Or you can contact them directly since they are now going to sell the program I believe. It has been re-written in .NET and the coder has alot of time invested. I will tell you it would be worth the purchase if they are indeed selling it.
                    Ours will create a PDF of just about any file type as the file is moved through a workflow. It Creates a directory in a network directory that is named after the filename. It then creates the pdf giving it the name of the file with the ext of the filetype as part of the filename. (2007 PDM Enterprise)

So if I had 2 files named draw1.slddrw and draw1.xls The end result would be

z:\shared\pdfs\draw1\draw1slddrw.pdf and draw1xls.pdf

In the new code this is accomplished through a client/server tcp connection. The data is sent to the server from the client. The server then puts it into a print que of a PDF print driver. From there the pdf is created and then moved to the above mentioned process.

Mail Me if you want to know the Vendor

If you are looking to do just Solidworks files email me.
                      • Automatic PDF Creation
                        Mike Sveda
                        We had a programmer dissect the swcreateoutput program. When we release a Solidworks drawings, it creates a pdf with the revision appended to the file name so anyone can see the older revisions instantly via pdf's. XC12345_A.pdf

Have not worked out how to do it for autocad or inventor files yet.
                          • Automatic PDF Creation
                            Jason Capriotti
                            Mike, interesting that you are creating a new pdf with the rev. letter on the file. So you aren't reving the PDFs through the system?

What are your reasons for handling it this way?

We haven't yet implemented Enterprise but this is issue I'm currently looking at.
                              • Automatic PDF Creation
                                Evert Schuttert
                                We also put the revision letter in the filename of the pdf, in the vault they are non revision managed.

Of course the rev of the pdf would always be the same as the drawings rev, so it would work well when treating pdfs the same way as SW files.

We put the rev letter in the filename, because when you send the pdf outside the vault (by mail to a customer or supplier) you can see the revision without opening the file.
                                That wouldn't be possible with revision managed files, because the file name would be different with every revision, so the file is treated as a new one each time. We do the same thing with dxfs for lasercutting.
                                • Automatic PDF Creation
                                  Mike Sveda
                                  Not reving the pdf's. They are a static image of that revision for all to see. So you can see all the revs at one time easily.
                          • Automatic PDF Creation
                            Antonio Lucero
                            Thanks for the help. At this time, I will continue to do it manually. The only need was because EDrawings was not correctly display the notes. Some one has stated that this might get fixed.