AnsweredAssumed Answered

Still getting penetration in Solidwork Simulation when using composite materials

Question asked by Emily Doberstein on Apr 28, 2020
Latest reply on Apr 28, 2020 by Emily Doberstein

So, I'm new to using composites in Solidworks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I am still seeing penetration on my results. 

Initially, I wasn't sure if my mesh was too coarse, so I tried extremely fine mesh (<0.2mm), but still had the same issue.  I've also tried a global no-penetration constraint, but that didn't work -- I read somewhere that if there are initial gaps the global contact doesn't work, so I assumed that was why. The way this component is designed, there are layers of Carbon Fiber that are moving vertically, kind of like a spring, so I need one layer of CF to 'bottom out' onto another layer. 

I then tried applying individual contact sets for no-penetration.  I created one for every edge and surface that could possibly interact, but I'm still getting the same results (with penetration). I double checked that this isn't just a deformed-scale issue; the deformation scale is set to 1.  

Can anyone advise me on what else to try? Is there an issue because it's a composite analysis, so it's using sheet bodies?  I've never had a problem like this before with solid body simulation.  

Outcomes