AnsweredAssumed Answered

Laptop options

Question asked by Simon Hayward on May 11, 2009
Latest reply on May 18, 2009 by 1-7UEHFD
I have just upgraded to SW 2009 SP3 on my old Sony Vaio which has ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics and although it works ok it is really slow. I have been considering updrading it for a while and I think that this might be the time to do it and have a budget of around £2500.00
I am not too computer savy so please excuse my ignorance with this post.
I have my own small sheet metal/fabrication business and do all the administration myself on one computer. This new computer would be required to do all this by not only running SW but Sage accounts, Payroll and MS Office as the main applications (obviously not at the same time). It would also need to be a laptop as I would use it both in the office & at home (both with docking stations).
Due to this I would much rather use XP Pro 32 as I know everything works with this. Also, as I have only been using SW for less than a year and as I'm still struggling to get to grips with it I don't have any large files to worry about and out and out speed for SW is not a critical issue.
I have looked around and from what I can see the Dell Precision M6400 seems to be the one to go for.
I spoke to Dell to ask what the difference was between the M6400 and the M6400 Covet, I was told that there were some minor spec differences (though he could not tell me what) but the main difference was that the Covec had an Orange aluminium case. With a price difference of £680.00 I decided there and then that I did not like orange!

The spec I have looked at so far is as follows;

Precision M6400
Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4Gz, 1066Mhz, 3Mb)
Upgraded memory to 4096Mb
Upgraded HD to 500GB
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX3700M (upgraded to 1Gz)
Windows XP Pro 32 bit

Do you think this sounds OK, the graphics upgrade is over £400 and I was wondering if it was worth it.

Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Outcomes