9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 5:59 PM by Joe Galliera

Flow simulation doesn´t crash, but seems to be sleeping...:)

Hi everyone...

I don't know if theres alreaddy some topic about this, but that's where i'm having troubles now.
      Sometimes, when i do some flow studies the flow simulation doesn´t seem to work. Like this: i'm doing some internal flow study with simmetry in one direction, i use the wizard to define all the properties i want, and then change or add everything else that i need to describe my real situation. The problem it's when i try to create a mesh or solve, cause the simulator seems to be calculating but doesn't appear the usual window showing the calculation properties. another thing that happens is that the icons in the main window of solidworks are inactive which i think proves that the CPU is processing the data...am I correct??!
      What do you think it's happening??!

Thanks.
      Best regards, Joao Amaral
        • Flow simulation doesn´t crash, but seems to be sleeping...:)
          Brian Robinson
          Boa Tarde Joao,

I recently came across a bug in Flow Simulation. I spent hours trying to determine why I could not get a simulation to start running. It would get as far as displaying the Solver screen with a message stating No Warnings and then stop. I tried running this on another PC with the same result. I eventually found out that Flow Simulation is unable to create folder number 100.

I have one Test folder containing several assemblies and folders numbered up to 99. It would have been nice if Flow Simulation would tell us it cannot create folder number 100!

I frequently use the Windows Task Manager to tell me whether or not the CPU is actually busy doing something or sitting idle. Perhaps this may help.

Regards,
          Peter Ferreira
            Bom dia Brian...
            Do you speak portuguese?!

I don´t know if this is a bug in Flow simulation, but i think it can be... But today i've tried a little diferent thing...i just clone the project i was studying and it seems to be working fine...it's a little strange for me to understand how flow simulation process the data, but i hope this is just a bug, cause i could be doing something wrong that could cause me lot of troubles in the future...for now i solve my problem clonning the project, but i hope to find out what had happened in that file!!

Is this ever happened to anyone??!!

Best regards, Joao Amaral
                Brian Robinson
                Bom dia Joao,

Brian is the owner of Eric B Robinson Ltd at v8seabee

I know Portuguese and only speak the language after spending some time visiting relatives in Portugal. I think it's time for another trip soon.

I have had many problems where Flow Simulation only created a partial mesh of an aircraft without indicating that there was a problem. Flow Simulation - Tools - Check Geometry would indicate that everything was fine and the volumes were correct. I eventually found out that Tools - Check would find tiny slivers that it did not like. Correcting these first ensured that Flow Simulation would create a complete mesh. It would have been nice if Flow Simulation would indicate that there was a problem with slivers in the first place!

I found too that I have to shut down SolidWorks after every simulation otherwise it ends up crashing later on. It seems to be the only way to release all of its memory for further use. I hope this helps.

Regards,
                Pedro Ferreira
                Boa tarde Pedro...
                Nice to hear that you know about Portugal... You would not belive how many times i had to explain that Portugal and Spain are not the same country

Now, about the flow problems. I'm a recent user of flow simulation and i have some troubles getting used to this software, cause i still don't know how to trust on it...when it could be a bug or my error. But i think this knowledge will come with time...
                I found it a few days ago too, that the only way to release all the cpu memory is to shut it down and restart i again...And this sometimes hepls solving some problems too...

Best regards,
                  I don't know what's the problem, but i've just discovered the solution...When this problem happens, i just have to clone the project and the simulation works fine...I reaaly don't get it, but clonning the project before running it, solves the problem...this cause me some confusing folders, a lot of files and configurations!!!

Anyone knows about this???!

Best regards,